1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg or Fender?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sterling Thomas, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Sterling Thomas

Sterling Thomas

Feb 6, 2019
    Hi All,

I’m in need of a bigger rig and I”m thinking about either a Ampeg SVT or a Fender Bassman. Currently using a combo but need something with more power. Any thoughts on which one is most reliable or maybe a different recommendation?

Thanks.
    Sterling

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  2. Both are good, but you pretty much have to try them to decide what you like. You might also check out some solid state options.

Wisebass and Wasnex like this.
  3. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

pcake likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nobody can pick out what gear you want but you. When we play it for you, then we'll pick it out. Until then, you're on your own :D

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I assume you are referring to the Fender Super Bassman 300. I have owned both that and a few svts. I kept the Bassman primarily because it was 20 pounds lighter and I can make it sound pretty darned close to an SVT. Honestly if they were both the same weight or I was twenty years younger I don't know which I would choose. Play them both if you can and look closely at what is happening with Ampeg since Yamaha purchased it, I have a feeling it is about to really lift its game. Also that new anniversary svt sounds really tempting, if you can manage the weight.....oh to be young again....sigh....

bronzet and mattwear like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Sterling Thomas :)

Both are good! The Ampeg and the SVT! :laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Arthur U. Poon and JimmyM like this.
  7. If you get one of each and send them to me, I will give you an unbiased decision. It should only take six months or so. I’ll PM you the address to send them to.

8. Sterling Thomas

Sterling Thomas

Feb 6, 2019

9. Sterling Thomas

Sterling Thomas

Feb 6, 2019
    Thanks for your thoughts, it was helpful I was not aware Yamaha purchased Ampeg.

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    which one sounds better to you? buy that one :D

seriously, though, there are thousands of thousands of people who play ampeg and thousands and thousands who play fender.