Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg or Gallien-Krueger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassist519, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Gallien-krueger

48 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Ampeg

46 vote(s)
    48.9%
  1. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    ok,heres the deal i want a new amp but i don't know what kind to get. what kind do u guys suggest?

2. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Ampeg or GK? there two completely different beast'. Th GK is modern, the Ampeg is more vintage. How bout some info like price range, musical taste and really, what your looking for. To tell the truth though, your just gonna have too go try them out yourself, both are good quality amps, and its really depends on whaat you like.

3. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    +1..perfect response.

More info

Dan

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Bassist519,

From the two brands you selected, I prefer Ampeg over GK.

But what I prefer is not necessarily what you prefer. So I can't vote. This would be useless, and could even lead you to an inappropriate choice.

Cheers,
    JL

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I have both brands in my arsenal and I must say that they are both sturdy and reliable. It is going to come down to your ears ultimately.

The only major difference is that most ampegs are tube and GK tends to be solid-state. The only advantage there is no re-tubing for the GK.

good luck

6. Slot

Slot

Oct 17, 2003
    Sydney - The Shire
    anything but ampeg!!!!

AGAIN, my heap of crap svt3 let me down today.

Rocked up for a gig,

Soundman: It got D/I out?

Me: Yea

Soundman: Ok *soundman plugs chord in*

Ampeg: hhhssssssssssssssssssssssssss hhhhhhsssssssssssss *fart* hhhhhhsssssssssssssssssss

Soundman: errr, i think we should use a seperate DI

Me: errr, farg i hate this POS....great idea, soundman

bleh ....who wants it?!:p i'll swap ya for a can of coke

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    This is my favorite poll of all time. Two brands on complete opposite sides of my like chart. Refer to my signature for my opinion on Ampeg. GK gives you all the punch Ampeg can and more while still giving you a clear, defined sound. As soon as I find a new job, I'm going for a 2001RB.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Old school vs new school.
    I'm from the old school but prefer the punch, clarity and tightness of the new school GK. Ymmv

9. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ampeg kicks ass man, they are mosters. GK is ok, i've heard some horrible things about them though.

10. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    A couple of other things to consider...

1) GK amps are not as deep as Ampegs and can fit into a shallow rack case.

2) GK controls are simpler to figure out than Ampeg...the DI on the front, with the front level control is really handy if you're in a band where you do your own PA.

11. GK amps are really nice..i play with a 800RB head and a 4x10 cab..both give me really nice sound thats trustworthy..the 800RB head is popular amongst a lot of the bassists today in known bands..its got good quality..i tried out a few ampeg heads before i decided on the GK and i didnt really like the tone i was getting from the ampeg heads...gallien-krueger has good "growl" in their sound and thats why im stickin with GK

"the war is right outside your door, now testify"
    -rage against the machine

http://www.chapmanstick.com/method/
    watch the 2nd video...its AMAZING!!!..i was speechless

ive been reading a very good book lately...i suggest to many of you to take a look at it "Jaco Pastorius "the worlds greatest bass player" by Bill Milkowski...

12. Myself, I am a SWR MObass user, I wood vote Ampeg, more versatile, and the juice you get outta the larger heads are choice. Top banana to ampeg.

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a G/K 700RB and 2 avatar CB112s. I love it. THe G/K is absolutely wonderful. It pumps out 380 watts @4ohms and weighs in at 18 pounds. At my age, I really appreciate that.

14. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Ahhh....I'm using a 700RB with one 4 ohm CB112. That's my small/medium gig rig. I'm at "that age" too.

15. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Hey man, what you really need to do is go to your local dealers of both Ampeg and GK. Bring your bass, and try them out. If you looking at a head, then find a cab similar to your to try the head out. Then get the amp that you like the most.

Don't just limit yourself to Ampeg or GK - look at other brands too. Try everything out, it's the only way you will find what you really want.

Out of the 2 I prefer Ampeg, but I'm not you.:bassist:

16. I had a B2R and found it lacking...Now I own a 1001RB Mark II and, well, the house shakes...it's only running @ 8 ohms into a 2x10 SWR Goliath Jr. and I'm almost scared to hook up another cab.

If you go GK, make sure you get the Mark II.

Oh yeah, it's 18 pounds and puts out 700 watts into 4 ohms. 18 pounds!

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    :D

That really is a great combination, though isn't it? :cool:

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I really dig both. I love my ampeg, and i love all the GK's i've heard. I really like how light and shallow and how great sounding they are (GK). If my Ampeg ever failed me, my next purchase would be a GK. It really differs from what model- if you said something like a 1001 RB vs. B2-r, i would say 1001 RB. If it was 400RB vs SVT-3 Pro, i would say go Ampeg.

19. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    GK's are workhorses, but to my ears they have no tone. Not good tone, not bad tone, no tone. It sounds like a bass. The controls will give you a brighter or deeper bass, but it's extraordinarily sterile. That said, I don't care for new Ampeg (or anything else St. Louis Music Company puts out), new Ampeg is very breakable.

I like SWR and Hartke pleanty.

20. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Astoria, Oregon
    OK..as A person that just got back from a/b ing a GK 2001Rb and ampeg SVT5Pro
    Ampeg, versatility, a lot of it. Really clear and is able to get a nice growl, nothing compared to a GK growl..but nice and warm. GK tends to be described as cold or sterile. Really biting and aggresive in the tone and if the GK doesn't crap out the first week, it will be working the rest of your life, but there is the odd one or two that will crap out. I know because I had 2 different 1001RB's crap out in a matter of a week. Ended up going with the 800RB instead. It really comes down to your taste. Moste people will sum it up like this
    Ampeg-warm growly, and most heads are pretty versatile, reliable.
    GK-Sterile or cold, very aggresive growl..more like a snarl at some settings, reliable.

Both great companies that make great gear. It comes down to personal opinion. Like many have said, you picked two companies on two different sides of the tonal spectrum.
    Get out there and try some out for yourself.

Dan