Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg or Gallien-Krueger?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by temp8658, Feb 8, 2006.

1. temp8658

temp8658

Feb 8, 2006
    I used to have an old Ampeg but i got tired of it so i switched to a GK setup.Now im starting to think about going back to Ampeg, I like them both but GK's got a tone i cant get with an Ampeg, but Ampeg covers the whole sound just as good, any suggestions?

2. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

Mar 25, 2004
    Evansville, IN
    Save up and get an Ampeg. By the way, which GK do you have and which Ampeg do you want?

3. temp8658

temp8658

Feb 8, 2006
    1001rb with an 810,same thing with an Ampeg, Strong head with an 810.

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    "I like them both but GK's got a tone i cant get with an Ampeg,"

This makes me think that there is a tone in the GK you can not get out of the ampeg, but.....

"but Ampeg covers the whole sound just as good,"

So....I am assuming you mean that the overall sound of the ampeg would still suit your needs.

ANYWAYS....after having had multiple ampegs and GKs, I'll start with this. Most GKs have a GK sound. Ampegs vary a good bit, from the real SVTs, to like the SVT pro, then of course the likes of the solid state B4 or something. Not sure which it is that you had or like.

However, I think GK and Ampeg on a whole are differnt beasts. Me, I totally prefer GK, but I got it good cause I got a Mesa 400+ and a GK 1001RBII. So really, I got a good bit of variety. That said, when it was just the 1001 I had no complaints.

Ideally, keep the GK and get an Ampeg. Should be able to score a used svt3pro for 350, that would be sweet! Or is it the B series you like?

Personal preference, don't user either's cabs.

5. temp8658

temp8658

Feb 8, 2006
    Yeah, (you got the whole overall sound thing right)I do like the b series but it doesnt matter to much.the only thing i really prefer between the brands iz GK has a better slap tone (in my opinion)It also matters on the style i want to play ,if i wnat to play funkier stuuff or more of a classic rock thing i like the GK, if its straight up metal or hard rock i like the Ampeg

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would suggest a Sansamp BDDI (or similar) and use that to get your metal tones.

7. I've kinda got the same dillema. I've been looking to upgrade my Ampeg B2R for a long time now. I think the sound is alright but I want more power and possibly a tube.

Alot of people seem to really like the GK stuff and I think they're pretty nice for the money. I think they are both good company's, just depends on what you want. I don't really like Ampeg's Hybrid amps much, but I love the SVT CL.

Ampeg or GK??? I guess it just depends on what you want and what your budget will allow.

Ever consider Ashdown??

8. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    i've owned a 1001rb with neo 112 and 115, it was a good amp

now i use an old ampeg svtII(not a svt2pro) with an old 810

to my ear, the 810 doesn't provide the boom in the lower register that i had with the 12 and 15, so i'm looking for a new 115

...but although the gk sounded good, it just never had the musical quality of this ampeg--again, to my ear...it sounded more hi-fi at all settings than the ampeg

i love this ampeg because i can get a great warm sound and i can also engage the graphic eq section to get a more modern sound--it's the perfect amp for me, although not by any means the end-all be-all amp for everyone

:)

9. I've used an Ampeg 810e with both a GK 1001rb and 1001rb-II many times in large rehearsal studios with stages. The power and sound that comes from this rig is unbeleivable. Tight, articulate, punchy, and LOUD. It's amazing how loud this thing will go: Vs. a guitar player with ESP w/EMG81's, a super OD, a JCM800 crankin though a 4x12, vox and drums through PA, covering Pantera tunes the 810 could DOMINATE the mix. This setup is as close to perfect as I have found, the only thing I would like is a tweeter, and maybe a more fluffy low end like 215, but live and in a mix you can't go wrong.

10. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Gee, I'm glad to be on the other side of this one finally.....I went through this whole exercise a couple months back and G-K was the winner, hands down. I just got so much more versatility from the G-K. Not that I don't like the Ampeg, just that the G-K suited my situation better. I need something that covers the gamut for musical genres and the Ampeg just didn't do that. As someone else suggested to me....Ampeg does Ampeg tone really well, but that's what you get. If that's what you're after, then look no further. But with the G-K, I've been able to dial in most anything I need for any given genre, and what I could quickly get to direct, a Sansamp BDDI aslo suggested during my turn in the barrel) or a Line 6 Bass Pod really filled out any other gaps in tone. In a live setting, I can't imagine why I'd look further in my current gig/recording situation. I'd sooner put those funds to another bass, speakers, effects, cases, something for the wife......not necessarily in that order.......okay she's gone now......uh, let's see new pick-ups for my MIM Jazz, you get where I'm going. In any case, if no thing else, the time I took looking was fun. Did a lot of A/B'ing with the G-K 1001RB-II vs. SVT3-Pro, 4-Pro, 6-Pro. It's all a matter of what hits your ears the best, but that's my story....yeah, I'm stickin' to it!

Cheers,
    Hammer

11. +1
    that's my rig as well..and yeah, it can be a pain to haul around the 810, i can still get in in & out of my rig myself.. :ninja:

12. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    how ironic.
    Right now I'm debtaing myself to switch out my svt4 pro with the gk2001rb...I dunno

13. Hammer ... How is the BackLine models(make in China). Is it as good as base models.

14. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I play an SVT-II non-pro through an 810E and it rUleZ!!!1!!one

15. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've played GKs 400RB,800RB and 2001RB amps and have owned Ampeg SVT-2, SVT-4 and SVT-3 amps. I've never used any GK cabs but have used Ampeg SVT410-HE and SVT810 cabs. With all that said, I can say that I really prefer GK amps to all the Ampeg heads I've played trough. Ampeg head IMO are really underpowered. All the GK amps I've used are considerably louder than the Ampeg heads I've played trough.

GK amps are a little sterile sounding but they are very versatile, clear, inexpensive but too trebly for my tastes. On the other hand, I find Ampeg amps and cabs to me a little muddy and not very clear. These are two brands that combined can work wonders. I once played a GK2001 with an SVT810 and It's one of the 3 best rigs I have ever heard (next to a Mesa 400+ w. SVT810 and my Aguilar Db750 w. GS410 and 2 GS112s).

Well, to summarize, get or keep your GK and play with the EQ or bass tone controls. If you really love the Ampeg tone, then get it. You won't be happy until you do and no matter what anybody says, trust you ears and that's about the best advice I can give.

Peace...

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Which cab do you use now? I suggest that, if you like both tones, pick up an Ampeg preamp and put it into the power section of the GK. It won't get you the full tube tone, but it will get you a much more Ampeg sound than the GK and the best of both worlds. I personally don't like the cabs from either company; I would suggest Bergantino cabs for ANY of your needs (Bergantino simply makes cabs that sound awesome for cheaper than other boutique cabs in my opinion).

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Both are great amps. According to my signature I've been abusing my GK rig for four years without any thought of changing. However, when I'm not using my rig, an Ampeg will suffice. They're both good amps, both with a great big place in music, I just prefer the GK. Your opinion may vary. However, I find the Ampeg to be a one trick pony and the GK to be very versatile. I've used GK in everything from high volume metal gigs, classic rock, pit orchestras, jazz bands, etc. Ampeg in Jazz, I don't think so ;)

18. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    use the 1001rb with an ampeg 810. dunno how that would sound but it might be worth a try.

19. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I've owned a B2, Svt III, SVT III Pro, '70s V4B, and a GK 800rb. In terms of clean power and headroom the GK wins by a landslide. In terms of tone the V4B gets my vote. Until I get a real SVT the GK + my Sansamp will do just fine.

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I have an SVT Pro-3 and a GK 400RB, and each has an inescapable, unsurmountable, inherent voice. I run both flat, and bring them both to gigs when I'm not using a combo amp. That way I always have a spare, and the acoustics of the room are covered. (I prefer the fat Ampeg tube sound, but sometimes the in-your-face, "sterile" GK sound becomes necessary.)
    (For cabinets, I bring either a Hartke 410 or a Mesa Boogie 15 with an EV in it.) (I'm a low-tech dinosaur.)
    (My combo amps are both Ampeg: a Rocket 15 and a BA-110.)
    (Basses: most often a 1981 G&L L2000, usually in passive mode, and/or a Mexican Jazz with flatwounds and series/parallel switch.)