Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

!?ampeg or krueger?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toony, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    hey, haven't been here in a while...good to be here. anyhow i'm likely going to upgrade from the current suckage (crate, a very small one =)) that i'm using as an amp, soon, and was wondering what you all think of my choices thus far.

i'm thinking on the lines of an ampeg ba112, it sounded great instore, very, but i was looking to hear from some of you who've sampled it or that own it, before i buy. okay, my conflicting thoughts came when i played an gallien-krueger backline 112 today, which is running around the same price and now i really can't decide.

oh, just incase this matters to you. i'm using a btb400qm, mostly fingerstyle and i usually play rock, metal and a little blues.

thanks, later.

2. I recently acquired a Hartke kickback combo for use at small acoustic gigs and practice. It's a 12" aluminum speaker ( per Hartke ) and pushes 120 watts which for the size is killer. The cabinet is conveniently wedge shaped so I can use it as a monitor and run the XLR line out to a mixer to run through a P.A system . I also Have 2 Gallien Krueger amplifiers.. the 700Rb and the 1001RB and can't say enough about them , they're my babies . I can say that Ampeg combos are studio staples though..... even though I'd bring my Hartke

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Ampeg and GK have different characters. Try each and decide which you like better.

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    personally i like gallien better, but i use
    carvin so what do i know. just play both of
    them side by side if you can. they both really
    have their own sound (both sound very nice too!)
    either way you're gonna get a great amp

5. blamkin

blamkin

Nov 28, 2001
    Broomfield, Co
    Hey metro_trash,

I'm looking for a practice/small gig combo -- Although I'm not really a hartke guy, I heard the 112 and really liked it. How would you compare that kickback to the GK stuff?

I mean, given a really important gig with you and say a jazz piano and singer, would the Harkte be your first choice?

Any other small amp experience, like that cool metro combo thing?

Thanks!

6. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    yeah i know. try them myself, then choose. makes alot of sense, but this has to be the hardest part of it to me. the ampeg is sweet even at max volume, but can be a bit boomy when playing real fast, and she also has no external speaker jack. the gk is also sweet and full but get's distorted a bit on max vol...she's ugly too, but that's no factor. it's like some kinda sea-saw thing or something, what one doesn't have the other has ten-fold....both are lovely despite.

anyhow i like the tone on both alot, so i guess i'll continue to play around with them for another week or so, to sum it all up a little more. anyhow, thanks for your input all. i'll also be trying that hartke next time i hit the store too. thanks.

7. Ampeg will have the ampeg tone. Buy it if you like it. Gallien's have a more transparent tonal qualities. Again good if you like them. I am a huge gallien fan but for the amps you listed, and the tone I am liking this week I would go with the ampeg. I also don't really like the sound of galliens using 12" speakers. If you are going to push it hard the ampeg will have a more forgiving clip. I hate the protection circut on my GK.

8. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    gallient: not sure what you mean about transparent tonal qualities, do you mean better note for note clarity...or something else? pardon my lack of bass term knowledge. =)

just curious, is the 15 gk's that much better than the 12's or is it just a personal ear preference? this is a question for anyone who has an answer.

9. You can get clear notes out of both. GK's to me seem to have less attack, or drive. More of a clean sound. Ampeg can give you a clean sound but also has a bunch of other tones available. If I have to live with a single speaker in my amp it would be a 15. I liked 12's a while ago but I haven't been satisfied with their tone depth except for the expensive ones.

I haven't played an ampeg with a 12. They may be good.

10. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    thanks man.

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    So true. I would describe the GK sound as more harsh and clean and sterile (but in a good way), while the Ampeg sound is more soft and dirty. They each can get different EQs and volumes, but thats what their character is

12. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    well, no need to bump this topic up. but just to be humble to all the folks that gave advice and helped me heed different attributes to look for in the amps, i thank you again. oh and i decided on the ampeg ba115 instead of the 112, i'm quite pleased right now, very. :D

13. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i would say the ampeg...i have the b100r and it sounds damn good