1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg or SWR 1x18?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kerrsedbass, Apr 15, 2006.

1. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    Has anyone tried both of these side by side? Right now I'm looking into eventually getting an 18 for all my low end, and throw the mid and treble thru a 4x10. I've played other speakers by Ampeg and SWR, and I really like the "active" sound that SWR has in comparison to the classic Ampeg tone. I really want to know if this stays with the 18s. ANy info would be helpful.

2. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    i've been wondering the same thing - only for 15's. i'll pay close attention to this thread.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    SWR loads a Bag End 18 into their Big Ben. It has a reputation as being very quick, with nice mids and more articulation than other 18s. That said, 18s are unpredictable in a live situation and usually turn to mud. I would just avoid an 18 to begin with.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Most 15s can get you plenty of low end. Even 12s and 10s and actually 8s can get you plenty of low end, depending on the drivers and cabs. A Henry 8x8 puts out more low end than my 215! An 18 is completely unecessary in a bass rig unless you are playing something like a 5 string tuned lower than A. In that case, you might as well just give up on bass :p

5. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    that means I'll probably stick with SWR. This is going to be for my outdoor rig since I hate PA's and mic'ing the amp. For small shows I've got a 2x10 so I'm okay for small venues.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    If you got the power, the Big Ben should work great for outdoor shows with no p/a suport.

8. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    I think either a SWR 750x or SM-900 shouldtake the powerthat I need.

9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yep, those will do great. Seems like I read, the 750(x) will power a single 8ohm cab better, than a bridged 900.
    And dont forget about the non-x, bass 750, It cost less, and many poeple like it better, than the 750x.
    (after the 750x came out I found a new bass-750 for a $500+tax closeout price).

I gigged a Big Ben/Golliath-II/Bassic-350 amp for 12 years. This rig never gave me a boomy sound. When I upgraded my amp, to the Bass 750, The 18 woke-up and did become a handfull in some rooms.
    I still have my Big Ben/bass-750 standing by. This cab is rear ported and it can get boomy in crappy rooms. I used to carry a thick dence, 3'x5' sound pannel, and put it behind the cab to help out a little with the rear port thing.
    After finding T/B and getting a bad case of tube-amp gas, I gigged the Big Ben, sitting on its side, with my Marshall jmp-50 (mod 1987) guitar amp. this rig worked out great, and recorded well, at low to med volumes with that band.

10. kerrsedbass

kerrsedbass

Jan 10, 2006
    Hamilton, NJ
    thats sounds like a plan with the Bass 750. I'll start looking for one to accompany the Big Ben.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I'd go with the SWR.

I think a 1x15 will get the job done though. You can get mad low end with just about any full stack though. Another 4x10 or 2x12 wouldnt be bad choices either.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    nah.. 2x15" cab. Still punchy(er) but no 20hz string noise.

13. lowstar

lowstar

Jul 3, 2001
    Schnitzelland
    other than anderbass, i had a bigben and i can say not much good about it.
    i had muddy-tone-problems in most of the rooms, and the 8-ohm load for the sub made my poweramp go into thermal protection every now and then...sometimes about 20 times per gig...wow !
    ok, it was a ****ty poweramp, a 2x450 watt german zeck, but still...

it was in combination with a 2x10 goliath, the preamp was an a.r.t. nightbass

just my 5 cents

cheers,
    lowstar

14. I have an SWR Big Ben 18", been using it for over 10 years, sounds awesome (SWR 350 Redface full range into Hartke 410XL & the Big Ben). Never had a problem with it, either.

Good luck!

15. what do you think about a Big Ben 18 under a Super Redhead 2x10 combo? using a goliath jr III right now and i play a tobias killer b4. i play in a 5 piece band 2 guitars and a keyboard.

16. Charles Fields

Charles Fields

Mar 30, 2009
    I had the ben cab. it sounded great with a triad and sm900 but i was alway's messing with the eq,if i moved a couple of feet one way or the other it changed to much for me,so i ended up just using the triad sounded tighter,i guess outside it would be worth having,i agree with joelb79 a 2-15 will give you that and more,i wish i still had that old 80's fender 2-15 cabinet with the port at the bottom i never see those anywhere,i hung on to an 80's fender portable 15 combo with the port on the bottom put's some oval port's in the back like the fender studio amp" got lucky"slapped a widow in there,it kick's butt.