Ampeg or SWR 4x10 cab?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MorganM, Jan 5, 2001.

1. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    i am getting an ampeg V4-B head and don't know which cab to get.
    Should i get a SWR Goliath or an
    Ampeg 410HLF

This will be complementing my '77 Rick. 4001
    Think of that geddy lee tone. Punchy and meaty
    Morgan Miller
  2. I bought a 70's SVT and after careful consideration of about 10 different cabs (including the Ampeg) I went with the Goliath 3. Full bottom end very present and nice sounding mids and sweet top end, sounds great with the SVT. I found the Ampeg 410s to be pretty deficient in the low end department...sounded great with a 15 under it though. But my advice would be to play as many cabs as possible and get the one you like best! The V4's a great sounding little head. I'm gonna get one one of these days...
  3. bassguy187

Jun 27, 2000
    Nazo, PA
    i was recently looking for 4 x 10 cab for my swr 350 head and i played ampegs, edens, hughes and kettner, and swr,
    and the two top runners for me were the eden cab and the swr cab, i bout the swr because it was a little lower priced and sounded just as good, so if ur deciding between swr and ampeg i'd say definately go for the swr.
  4. That head just begs for an Ampeg 2x15 cabinet.
  5. MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I am also going to get a 1X18 cab to complement it.
    Then later on i am going to get another v4B and run my Rick. stereo and have my bridge pickup go to one amp and my neck pickup to the other.
  6. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    After using an Eden D410XLT for a couple years, and not liking it :(, I bought an Ampeg SVT410HLF cabinet. WOW :D, happy camperage! I took the Eden into the local GC and camped out in their bass room for a couple hours, and had a wonderful opportunity to A/B my Eden with an Ampeg PR410HLF.
    They were close, but to me the Ampeg didn't sound as nasal, and had more bottom. I traded in the Eden and bought the Ampeg. Other than the obvious physical differences between my two Ampeg cabs, the SVT sounds a little warmer and fatter than the PR, which does the "modern" thing a little better.

I've heard that some of the Ampeg cabs are bottom-deficient, but I think the HLF series cabs have it in spades.

Moral of the story: let your ears be your guide, and don't worry what name is on the cabinet. What works for everyone may not work for you. I "downgraded" my equipment, and couldn't be happier!
  7. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I saw the PR410HLF for a good price in a music store recently, so I scoped out the sensitivity: 96 dB. That's kind of low - and much lower than the Eden 410XLT. The Ampeg sure was impressive in all other respects (except for weight: 128 lbs.!). Anyway - I think Ampeg achieves a true "hi-fi" cabinet at the expense of efficiency. Another approach would be to take a different (but more efficient) cabinet and simply electronically EQ a flatter response out of it.
    - Mike
  8. At band practice, I use my V-4 head with an older Musicman 1-15 scoop cab with a replacement Black Widow in it. This thing really pushes some air. I think it is the cab. Usually 1-15s have slotted ports. I now like 15s, especially for tube amps. I have a Sonic 1-18 at home, it does not sound as present as the 15. Also, 18s can be too much in the back of the room, and not enough on stage. Check out the other posts by MikeyD on "The throw of a speaker"
  9. LeMonJello420

LeMonJello420 Guest

Jan 9, 2001
    Tampa, FL
    My vote is for the Ampeg after owning a Goliath II and the SVT410HLF. The Ampeg had way more bottom to my ears
  10. I tried out a number of 4x10 cabs before I bought my Ampeg SVT410HLF - Hartke, SWR, Ampeg SVT410HE, Fender, Peavey. I felt that the HLF Ampeg model offered the most for the money. It has great bottom, good mids and highs. Since this is a bass cab I look for bottom more than anything. It is well contructed, looks nice, easy to move with the top handle and good sized wheels. It weighs 110 lbs, but the other 4x10s aren't light either. I use this cab solo and teamed with two other ampeg cabs in various combinations - SVT-1x15, SVT-2x10. I like it, my band members like it, other bass players I know like it, and the audience likes it.