Ampeg or SWR or ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dougray, May 7, 2003.

1. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    i am loking to buy a new amp,i want something with an actual tube pre-amp,2 space rack mount,and have decent wattage(400+).i have narrowed it down to an Ampeg SVT3pro or SWR 550x or 750x, or ? just wanted some suggestions from you guys as what i should get. it will be used for stage with 4x10 and a 15. thanx.:bassist:
  2. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
  3. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    there is no music store in my area that carries ampeg,they have a SWR 350 ,but they say it has no "tube" pre-amp?thanx.
  4. If you have some decent money to spend, check out the Aguilar DB750! It sounds incredible IMHO!
  5. All of these companies make amp heads that have the specs you are looking for.
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    No Guitar Centers in Maryland?

The Bass 350 has a tube in it...unless the new one's don't.

The 750 is a three space amp

The new Carvin bass heads don't...a new solid state tube emulation circuit has taken the glowing little tone bottle's place on the circuit board.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I strongly suggest that you consider adding the Mesa Boogie M-Pulse line to your short list. Do a little searching on the archives here, and you will find a lot of folks digging these.

Personally, I have a Walkabout, which is 300w into a 4 ohm load, but that is a very conservative number. It has two tubes (one in the pre, and another driving the MOSFETs), and tone galore. I use it primarily with my Epifani T-112/T-110UL, but I have also used it with my Boogie 4x10 and Eden 212XLT, and it drives them with authority! Only 13 lbs, to boot!

The M-Pulse 360 and 600 would also kick major bootay.

8. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    hi,i just wanted some suggestions,the nearest guitar center is like hour/half away from me.
    i just wanted some input from fellow bass players,i know the svt3pro is the way i might go,i have a carvin r600 amp right now its "ok" but need more umph. i had a hartke 3500 great sounding IMO,but it buzzed terribly on stage(i tryed everything to get rid of it.) thanx for replies so far.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is what sound you like

Ampeg= warm muddy at times round tone
    SWR= bright very acoustical tone

I own a Ampeg it is possible to make Ampeg to sound like a SWR but i dont think you can make an SWR sound Like an Ampeg. With Ampeg be prepared because they are very heavy. Good luck with your choice
  10. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    How about GK? I've owned both SWR and Ampeg(solid state) and have found GK to have the best of both worlds tone wise.As far as as volume and headroom i've found the GK's to be much louder than other amps with the same power ratings.:bassist:
  11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The SVT3pro is a nice sounding amp, but if you play in a loud band the volume might not keep up.
  12. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    yes i have looked at GK amps but i dont fully understand the whole bi-amp thing? i mean do i have to have a seperate horn for the highs? or can i use lets say a 2x10 cabinet for the "highs" and a 15 for the "lows"?, the GK amps are decently priced also,i would consider the 700RB model. thanx
  13. why do you insist on a tube pre-amp? they don't necessarily sound better. you should try out as much gear as you can and use your ears to decide...
  14. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    Glockenklang is the best!
  15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    POersonally, I've never been much of an SWR fan. To me their was something always misiing in the sound.

Ampeg, on the other hand buters my toast. :) Personally, I'm not too fond of the power rating on the SVT-IIIPRO. I think it's alittle exagerated. I've A/B alot of them to the AMpeg B2R (350W head) & the B2R was always louder & IMO, better sounding. I'd give that head a shot.
  16. Personally I don't think the SVT pro III at 450 watts into 4 ohms is not enough power for what you are wanting to do. You've already had Hartke and Carvin and you want something more. Maybe it is time to try seperates. I use an Alembic F1-X with a QSC PLX1202. I've got the tubiest pre-amp made (mo) and 1200 clean watts - 3 rack U, about 30 lbs for close to the same money as what you are looking at. And, if that isn't enough power go to a 1602.
  17. dougray

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    thanks for replies,i get the "jist" of it,lol.i have to get off my butt and check some heads out!, :D :bassist: :eek:
  18. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    If you like the preamp of your Carvin, how about adding a power amp and using it as a preamp. The QSC PLX series amps are 21 lbs (even my 2400 watt PLX 2402). Something like that should give you some oomph!!!

Personally I love the tone of Ampeg heads (actually preferring the solid state preamps in the B2R, SVT-350H and B4R) but have found the 350 watt power section to have less power than expected.

Have fun!!!
  19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Had another could always order the Ampeg from a place like Musician's Friend and try it at home, at rehearsal, on a gig, etc. You have 45 days to decide if you want to keep it your not.

If they're having free shipping right now (haven't been paying attention) deciding that you don't want the amp means that you'll have to pay for return shipping, which from MD to OH (where the nearest MF warehouse is) shouldn't be much with FedEx Ground (or even UPS).
  20. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah I don't really have any place really close to here, I could drive like 2 hours for guitar center though... Anyway, theres a lot, theres like a Mesa Boogie, Peavey, GK, Fender, I hear good about Mesa and GK though. I say stick with ampeg and/or SWR though... _-soto-_