1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg or Trace Elliott?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ceekay, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ceekay

ceekay

Feb 25, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    I'm looking for any opinions out there on the better choice of amp for someone playing heavy downtuned groovy rock in small to mid size venues.

I've boiled it down to 2 options...

#1 Ampeg BA-300 210 (300 watts, 2x10 speakers, 50lbs)

#2 Trace Elliott 715X (500 watts, 1x15 speaker, 79lbs)

Both amps have their charms and strengths, but I'm finding it almost impossible to make the choice between the two so any help is appreciated.

2. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I have a TE 715X, i would highly recomend it for downtuned groovy rock. The cab is tuned to 42hz which is very nice. I have used just 2x10s before and for your situation i would go 15

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Trace
    Also have read here about reliability problems with BA series

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Wow, you couldn't have picked two amps more different from each other. (Well, maybe an original SVT w/810 compared to an 80's Peavey combo! :D)

IMO it is a no brainer...Trace all the way. :bassist:

5. Another vote for Trace

6. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Trace! I am an old school Ampeg fanboy by the way, but I'd go with the Trace over the new BA-300 any day of the week.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I love my Ampeg gear, but between those 2, the Trace wins, hands down.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Another thought: "heavy downtuned" and "2x10" generally do not mix. There are some exceptions, but in your position I would get a bigger speaker cab and just not turn up loudly if the venue is small. You still need the ability to push power and air if you are playing a heavy downtuned sound, even when the overall volume is lower.

See if you can score a used 4x10 or 2x15 or something, and then an amp in the 500W range as you described.

And Trace FTW!