1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg or Yorkville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sbbassslapper, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Well Everyone,

Just when I thought I was comfortable about my rig, someone I know goes and gets a Yorkville 800, and from what I can hear it sounds amazing, I have the Ampeg B5r So he's pulling atleast 300 more watts I am, and I dunno if its just the way I have it setup but My ampeg just sounds so dull without my sansamp on with it. Is this normal for ampeg solid state sound? If i go shopping for a new amp, should i consider yorkville, maybe a more power ampeg? I mean what I have is solid for shows, but its like i'm always looking for something better.......

Is this a curse?

2. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    This is a curse.

Don't get a Yorkville unless you can test it out with your gear (rent one for a weekend gig or bring your gear to a store to try with the head). You may find that maybe it is your cab that needs changing... not the head. Or maybe you just need to freshen up how you dial in your EQ.

Either way... Yorkville makes solid equipment so you can't go wrong.

3. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I agree...I has going to change my whole rig over to Yorkville, but decided to just grab the 808 for now...I raelised that my head might not be the problem, but my cabs are...Down the road , I may go for the xs800, but I don't think it would make much of a difference, seeing as my Madison e600 puts out 600wrms anyway,and my zoom b2 keeps my tone options open = a tuner parametric AND gaphic eq,compresser,limiter, drum machine and any effect I could ever want...If I was to switch over, I would ABSOLUTELY go for the yorkville stuff! I tried ampeg , and it just doeasn't seem to match up to its hype sound wise and I could buy a new car for the amount of money I would have to spend to get a decent amp and cab setup!... IMO The newer yorkie stuff is by far THE best bang for your buck stuff out there!

4. I have had multiple cabs with this b5r head, its suppose to push 500watts, and the cab i had first was just a peavey 18, and then i had hartke 2x10(transporter) and it distorted that with the aluminum cones, then i traded that in and picked up an ampeg4x10he, which i have that and the peavey 18 hooked in, and i get a huge wall of sound, but as soon as i take the sans amp off, or turn it off, it quites way down. So i'm not sure if i have both channels turned up enough, i know that the clean channel is set at about 3pm, (off setting would be 6 i think..... and on the overdrive side i have it at about noon...... and the master is usually just before the noon mark, with the sans amp on its very loud, could drown out the guitars, i f they were being mic'd. ... should i play with the amp eq and see what i can do?

5. Maybe a tube head would do the trick? The sansamp is a tube emulator. Plus, the 800 has tubes in it, which is going to make it sound better compared to a solid state amp IMO.

6. should i trade in the ampeg b5r? or try out the yorkville first and save up and buy it, i mean the ampeg isn't hurting me, but its like i know there's a better sound out there....

7. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have a Yorkville XS800 head (powering my Schroeder 410 -4 ohm cab) which I really liked after comparing it to a lot of amps at similar wattage outputs. It's a hybrid amp with a single tube in the Preamp which you can blend in all the way, partially,or out. I just decided to try it out again against an Eden 550(750W @ 2 ohms) a week ago and the Yorkie was still louder and I liked it's tonal possiblities better...(I sure don't need my sansamp anymore)... I really like Eden amps-Eden heads are my current next favorite head and I want to find one that sounds even better than my Yorkie if I can...I'm going to try the Eden WT800B which can deliver 1100 Watts bridged @ 4 ohms in the next week or so(my cab can handle 1400 watts)...but for the money...the Yorkie XS800 is a killer deal...Peace...DAcat:cool:

8. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    i'm playing an ampeg svt 4 pro and mine too sounds dull and muddy without the sansamp. if i didn't have the sansamp i would have gotten rid of the ampeg soon after i got it (i never intended to get the 4 pro, it was a mistake and the dealer told me to just keep it because of the cost of shipping...the story is longer than that but..) i've tried and tried to get a tone i like out of it but it's just not there (or maybe it's me) but i'm running it through an ampeg 410hlf or svt 810e depending on venue. i play a G&L L2000. i also have an ampeg b2r that i actually prefer the tone of (my bandmate do as well) but it just doesn't have the power i need. maybe someone can shed some light on how to eq these things to sound decent (i play straight up rock, i just want a good finger style rock tone), when i try the settings in the manual the best i can get is a varation of the funk setting. i'll probably be picking up a GK 1001 RBII or a 2001RB very soon. I tried out the 1001 and it was so clean and clear and had all the punch and definition i've been looking for. then later on i'll get some GK cabs to go with it.

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I can relate! My head totally sucks until I hook up my zoom b2, then BAM ! it sounds like heaven! I've tried to eq it till the cows come home, and it still has lousey tone! There is potential for great sounds,but it really needs a preamp or pedal to get the wicked tones to show themselves! wierd...

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you want a tuby sound, you should also check out the Traynor YBA-200, which runs about $600. Its part of Yorkville, so your dealer should carry the Traynor as well. Try everything out before you buy anything.

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Here's a thought...if you like the pre of the B2r but the power isn't up to snuff, why not run that (effects send or line out) into the power section of the 4pro (power amp in or effects return), bypassing it's pre, and just use the power section to power your cabs? Extra work to haul an extra head, but until you make a decision...

12. RwG

RwG

Mar 24, 2006
    orlando, fl
    for now i just use the sansamp as a pre, well not totally, i run it between the bass and the amp - so i don't bypass the 4pros pre, i actually prefer it this way, i guess i like some of it's tone mixed in but not byitself. but i have the amp set flat and use the tone controls of the sansamp. a lot of people say they like my tone, it's just not clear or defined enough for me, the E strings is great though, it's the higer note i'm missing the clarity on.

13. Don't get me wrong i love my tone that i have combined with the b5r head and the sans amp because its going between my bass and the amp....... but its like i know that there is something clearer over on the other side, would it be wrong to have the yorky head and the ampeg cab with the peavey cab? should be enough power..... my b5r only pushes 500watts, and its pushing the two cabs just fine