Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg original SVT-2 vs. newer SVT-2Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svtb15, Feb 13, 2006.

1. svtb15

svtb15 Commercial User

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Ampeg SVT2 users, does anyone else notice the difference between the sound of the Pro and non-Pro versions.
    I have a 1989 non pro and think the EQ is far more open and robust than the newer pro versions. To me the pro version sounds a bit murky. The older non pro seams closer to the original 70s SVT to my ears. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

2. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Hi there!

I think the SVT2 pro improved no end when I got rid of the naff valves that were in it from stock. I also think that in AB tests, my SVT2 pro black face sounds better than a brand new black/grey hammerite version. That's just my opinion. I don't use the graphic EQ for my normal sound, I only switch it in for solo use etc. Maybe that has something to do with it, as it is the only 'op amp' part of the signal path I believe. The in/out switch is true bypass too. mines on ebay UK at the mo'.

3. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Hello

I recently purchased an SVT-II (non pro), one of the best sounding amps I ever owned (It's important that it has good tubes). It sound very beefy with a nice rounded tone.

I couldn't get that nice tone out of the SVT-2PRO I tried.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I have never tried the new PRO version but my '89 SVT-II is the best sounding amp I've ever played through in my life. It blows me away... the thing grrrowls

5. '89 SVT-II, it just sounds too damned nice! Ive used the pro and CL versions, and, i just found they were lacking, almost hollow sounding in comparison, and the growl just isnt the same!

I wuv mine :D

6. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had both. I sold the older II in favor of the II Pro only because the older version doesn't have a "drive" knob on it. I could never get it really overdriven like I can with the newer one. It can sound a little murky at low volumes. You really need to crank it and team it with the 810 cab to let it do it's thang!

7. mattvon

mattvon

Jan 22, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have an early SVT-II and it's a monster. I haven't played the Pro version, but I've owned a Magnavox-era SVT and a V4B and this sounds very similar to my ears.

I also should say the EQ is an awesome feature. Kinda the best of both worlds--raw Ampeg tube sound with a bit of tailoring built in.

+1 on the good tubes comment. I just had mine retubed and it really made a difference!

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I can get my non-PRO as overdriven as I need to... I just turn up the volume and overdrive the power tubes. The "drive" knob on the new PRO overdrives the preamp

But I guess if overdriving the preamp is what you really want to do, then get the PRO

9. Yeah, thats true

To me anyway, and i thnk you'll agree, you just cant beat the sound of those 6550's/KT-88's overdriving, woof!

If i want to make it a bit grittier when its quieter i use my sansamp BDDI, works a treat!