1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PBC228 Porta Bass Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PJaye, Feb 24, 2008.

1. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    Hi, Just wondering if anyone here owns this amp. How does it sound for medium-sized gigs? Is the cabinet ported? Has it held-up well over the past year or so? Thanks.

2. There was one for sale here not long ago; search the classifieds & PM the original owner, maybe. BTW, my wife's side of our family is from Worcester. :)

3. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    I've used mine to jam in a large music room at a school, in a trio of bass, drums and guitar. The guitarist used a Strat through a Gibson GA-15, which is a 15W tube combo with a 10" speaker, and a Rickenbacker 350 through a Vox AC30CC. The drummer had a set of Rogers. I was playing a '62 RI J, and a Hofner 5000/1. We were doing mostly psychedelic and British invasion stuff.

When used alone, the 228 was fighting for its life against the Gibson amp (which was dimed most of the time), and quite overwhelmed by the Vox in terms of volume. The Ampeg is ported, BTW. I didn't fiddle around with the tone settings or use both channels too much. I just tried to get it as loud as possible. It had about as much bottom end as you'd expect from two 8" speakers (not a whole lot). It was hard to hear myself when the amp was on the floor, so I had to put it up on a ledge.

When I connected the built-in DI to the P.A., it was a completely different story; lots of tone and versatility, in addition to the P.A.'s volume. In short, I think these amps were designed to pretty much always be run through the P.A. Mine doesn't even have a jack for an external speaker, just the DI and a line out (and an FX loop).

The 228 would probably be okay without P.A. support for rehearsals if the band wasn't too loud, or small acoustic gigs. I've also successfully used it at auditions and casual jams when I didn't want to schlep a big rig.

4. sjb64

sjb64

Aug 2, 2007
    For medium sized gigs you'd need to be in the PA. There is no jack for an extension cabinet. I've never taken mine on a gig since my "big" amp is so small.

It is ported.

I use mine strictly for practice in my home; it's small, easy to move around, and cat-proof. It's a great sounding little amp. The two 8's without a tweeter are very pleasing to my ears.