Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg, peavey, ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yvette, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Hi all,

I still play through my old guitar amp. Bought a used Marshall 15" 250 watts at 8 ohm,cab last week, and it did a lot of good to the sound (Guitar amp is Music Man 130, with 2*10", all tube). For allmost all finger and pick sounds I can get a good setting but there is no way I can get a good slapping sound (specially the pops are terrible). I don't slap to much and not at all in band setting, so I still think about keeping it this way.
    On the other hand I'm still thinking of buying a real basstop. Yesterday I have tried some stuff in a store. First an Ampeg from the B serie. It was 150 watts and a big dissapointment. Then I tried a Peavey DeltaBass and i actually liked it. Reason I didn't buy it, yet, is I think it hasn't got to much power. 100 watts at 8 ohm, so with a single cab that's not to much, and I'm wondering if it even gets the Marshall cab moving at all? With two cabs, so on 4 ohm, it will be 160 watts. It was pretty loud though in the store, way louder then the Ampeg, which was muddy to me and silent.
    Other problem is the Nitrobass, which is the one step larger Peavey, gives 300 watts at 4 ohm so it must be able to blow the 250 watt Marshall cab. Or is it that that will never happen with two cabs adjusted and the volume not all the way open?
    On 8 ohm it gives 200 watts so the Marshall cab can handlle that.
    My wish is to have a set up with a top and two cabs so I can take just one cab to smaller gigs and both to the bigger (that's an other problem with using my guitar amp, without the 15'" added to it the sound has not enough bottom). Weight is an issue and I don't want to go over the top on volume so 400 watts or more is not really needed (guitarist uses a 50 watt 70ies Marshall and a Fender Pro Junior with only 20 watts).
    Well hope to get some new thoughts and suggestions from you all, thanks in advance,

Yvette

2. I like both brands a lot but you're only sure bet for good tone with Ampeg is the SVT series. That's just my opinion. I've been using Peavey stuff for years and still use a 1983 TNT Combo. One thing about Peavey...its tough and durable, especially the 80's era stuff. They might be ugly but their built like tanks! My guess with the Nitrobass is that you're going to push the speaker a bit too much and get distortion if you turn up too much with the 4 ohms/300 watts. If you can run 2 cabs at 8 ohm you'd probably be alright. Is there anyway you could get your cabs to the store and try it out with them? I know that's probably impractical but its always good to try things out with the gear you'll be using it with. I'm not a genius when it comes to speakers and such...I always go for the sure thing and use matched everything. But that's my 2 cents :)

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Your 250watt Marshall 1x15 should handle the 300watt NitroBass with no problems. Underpowering a bass cabinet is usually worse than overpowering. Underpowering a bass cabinet can lead to clipping, and that will destroy a speaker rapidly.

Also, I used to own a DeltaBass. I really liked the tone, but sold it for lack of power.

4. Interresting, so underpower can cause damage. How about putting the amp on low setting then, won't that be underpower (like a 300 watt on just two)?
    Won't my 130 watt Music Man have some under power then (so far it works fine).

Getting the cab to the store will be some problem but might be a good idea.

By the way, the amp our guitarist uses mostly has only 15 watts, I thought it was 20, but I took a look today at practice.

Anyway new ideas are welcome and I agree on the SVT part, but they are unfortunatly to expensive for me.

Yvette

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Actually, you might be temprorarily underpowering the cab, but you will have a very easy solution.

Clipping occurs when you try to make your amp perform beyond it's capability. So, if you have your master volume set at two, and you try to get more volume by increasing your pre-gain (or use some other method to boost your signal), your amp may begin to clip. However, since your master volume is only at two, you will still have "headroom", and by increasing the master volume level you should eliminate the clipping.

If you have a smaller amp with the master volume maxed-out and clipping occurs...

...It's time for a bigger (more powerful) amp. :)