1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF-112HLF Speaker Buzz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KrisWarrington, Oct 2, 2017.

1. I've had this amp for awhile and I've always noticed that if I turn the amp up too loud or my tone had too much bass I would get a buzz out of my speakers. I finally decided to check it out and I discovered the culprit. The two wires running to the cone (pictured uploading soon) obviously follow the movement of the cone and caused them to vibrate like crazy. None of my other cabs have this problem.

What can I do to solve this problem?

View attachment 2770918

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    So..if you overload the speaker with volume or crank the bass control too high the speaker starts to distort?

Sounds normal. You’re trying to get more out that cabinet than it can do. Add a second one.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's not a real high power handling speaker.

4. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I had a buzz in my Pf-112 . I found the rivet that holds spade fitting bracket to frame was loose . Put a dab of epoxy on it , that fixed it . Also the leads that go down to the Diaphragm had too much relief in them . They vibrated up against the Diaphragm and buzzed at higher volumes . I just tweaked the bracket . took some relief out . No problem since .

5. Thanks, worked like a charm.

lowendrv likes this.