1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF-115HE vs PF-115LF??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric4682, Aug 24, 2012.

1. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Has anyone tried both of these cabs? I'm looking for replacing my setup with a couple of warm sounding 15's and since I'm a proud owner of the PF-500 head these are a natural choice for me. Does anyone know how they compare at low volume, high volume, and differences in tone and response?
    Thanks in advance!! :bassist:

-Conor

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The lf will be ported, so extended lows, and a bit "loose" sounding. The he is sealed, so a bit less low end extension, but a tighter feel.

3. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    That's what I thought too, RickenBoogie, but from what I've read the HE goes down to 44Hz where as the LF goes down to 57Hz. Can anyone explain this?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Those specs are misleading, and are not an absolute. They roll off at those frequencies, but how steep I don't know. Someone will come along with better knowledge, I hope.

David Jayne likes this.
  5. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Anyone run through both cabs? I'm looking and getting 2 15's and I'm very interested in these but I'm also open to other suggestions.

6. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    This is an interesting idea. People are quick to point out the physics problems associated with using different size speakers. What about the same size speaker with different cabs?

In general, closed cabs tend to be more mid forward and open cabs tend to have more lows. Using the same size speaker with the two different types of speaker might yield interesting results.

Though I do suspect the two speakers behave differently and would cause some phase cancellation.

Cab gurus to your posts!

7. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    I'm just curious as to the tonal differences since the LF is $100 cheaper than the HE. It might have to do with the LF not having a horn, which might cut down on price. It wouldn't matter either way since I always turn the horn off. I like big, fat tone :D

8. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Does anyone know how either of these sound? Or what are some other relatively cheap 15's that I should look into?

9. Yeah, the LF doesn't have a tweeter. There's a vid here that demonstrates how the HE sounds (albeit with a PF-350) that may help you. I imagine the LF sounds more or less like this with the tweeter off.

--Silvie

10. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks for the link! From the pictures it seems the LF is a larger cabinate. Would that have an effect one the overall tone?

11. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

I have 2 of the 115LF's...and if big sounding 15's are what youre after, then you cant go wrong with the LF's. I have not A/B'd it with the HE's so I cant tell you any differences, but I can tell ya that the LF's are plenty bright even without the tweeter. I am running mine with a SVT 7Pro and it sounds great.
    And I woudnt put any stock into those "frequency responses" really. If youre concerned about the LF not handling the low end, no worries...they handle the low B on my Spector 5 string with no problem.

12. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks Thundar! Are they a hassle to schlep around? They're 10lbs heavier than the HE

13. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Thery're not too bad...I stack mine on a rolling cart or one of those little kick-back dollies whenever possible. If you have to carry them, they are fairly compact and the side handles make it pretty easy. Really not much different than carrying a 2x10 cab.

14. HE's are flip-top. LF's are not. Just something to consider.

pcake likes this.
  15. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Okay :) Thanks for your help!

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For the specs on Ampeg's website for the PF115lf and PF410hlf, they used the -3db point as frequency response. However, if you look at the manual, both cabs are in the very low 30 hz range for -10db, which is what's consider the "usable low frequency." Comparing an SVT410hlf to the PF cabs, the SVT410hlf goes to 28hz for the -10db point. Not having heard them, though, I'd have to guess they go a good bit lower than the PF115he, which has surprisingly big low end for a sealed cab. I've heard ported cabs that don't go as low as the PF115he.

17. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Well, I'm thinking I'm going with the LF's. I like that I can mount my PF-500 in there and use the flip-top feature. And I don't like really low bass in my sound, just full, tight, round tone. Plus they're 10lbs lighter :D Thanks for all your help, people!!!

18. Ya mean the HE's ....
    LF's ain't flip top
    The HE's are very portable

19. HT Paul

HT Paul

Mar 3, 2008
    Any new info on this topic? Just picked up a used PF-500 and considering getting a matching 1x15 to go with it. Can get a HE locally, but curious. Using the rig both slab and upright, so the leaning towards the HE to better catch the click of the upright, but still curious.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd go HE for those purposes, though I'd still turn the tweeter off, even for upright.

:D