1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Ampeg PF-20t) I couldn't return it...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Plucky The Bassist, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    ....even though I really needed to! (NAD: Ampeg PF-20T Portaflex!!)

So in the link above, I recently acquired the Ampeg PF-20T which I got used from GC. Not long after, started hitting some very unforeseen expenses (necessary car repairs) and I was trying to talk myself into returning it for a solid week. I had almost done it since I reasoned that this sounded best with my flats-loaded P-bass and I could cop a near-enough tone from the right settings on my GK 700RB-II. Then I restrung my Ibanez P/J (another band had me tuning it down to drop A#...don't ask, bad life choices) whom I affectionately refer to as Mika, and gave her a whirl through the Ampeg PF-20T.

The vintage thump is magical on that head, but holy crap that overdriven tone is to die for. I can get a similar sound by dialing in certain settings on the GK and some very particular ones on the Idiotbox Blower Box, but this got me that sound without being as "touchy" when I needed to make changes. I think it's safe to say I am keeping the head...passing the "return date" test is harder for me than it sounds, but the only thing on my mind is "...how can I afford a V4B reissue when I start gigging bigger shows?" Maybe the transformer DI out on the PF-20T means I won't have to ;)

All this to say, if you run into one of these give it a whirl. These are amazing little buggers ;)

JimmyM and justbass57 like this.
  2. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

Split the difference on a 50T?

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Correct.

That's my problem, Mrs. Tedious put two and two together, so now it's "No you are not spending $800(Canadian) on a funny looking oversized pre-amp pedal!"

I guess she's been paying some attention when I talk gear...

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Just to make sure, you're offering a trade right? Honestly money is so tight right now, I was pushing it to finance the 20T. Cash-on-hand is rather low at the moment. Will definitely hit you up if the need arises...though I'm inclined to wait around for the V4B as I heard it gets very loud. If my math serves me correctly, it'd be about 150% of the volume that the 20T has on tap.

5. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

Nope, no trade with me, the 50T is exactly what I need for recording and any playing out.

I meant for you to trade the 20 in for a 50T.
    I understand if the cash flow is short.
    Both of those PFs are great in any home recording studio or medium gig if the cabs are up to the task.
    I really like that 50T that I have, I just have to replace the cheap input jacks on the amp (that should be this week if CanPost cooperates).