1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF 210 or GK CX 210 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rpk19, Oct 7, 2017.

1. rpk19

rpk19

Feb 26, 2016
    First time poster here.

I'd like to hear opinions from those who are familiar with these cabinets. There is nowhere around here to do an A/B comparison as far as I know. The specs say that their power handling, efficiency and frequency response are similar. The biggest difference is that the GK is lighter, which is a plus if all else really is more or less equal.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd have to lean towards GK even though I've never played that particular one but I have other GK cabs with 10s and I use to have a PF210. The biggest difference is that the Ampeg is sealed so you will get a more rounded bottom end and the PF210 will not handle a B string at all. It farts out very easily. But it sounds good as long as you cut the amount of bass you send to it. Also killing the deal for Ampeg for me was the lack of Speakon jacks which to me is amateur hour. I can't take a cab seriously that does not have Speakon jacks. Couple that with the the GK being made in the USA with their own in house drivers and I'll declare GK the winner.

eriky4003 and 1960jbass like this.
  3. ballynally

ballynally

Jun 25, 2017
    Don't know if you've bought anything yet but if not I'd say the GK.the Ampeg pf210's cab itself is of a better quality (nice ply and cloth.looks great) but is non ported while the GK is ported and will have more bottom end.i know because i played through one some time ago.very nice speaker response,full spectrum.also, GK is 18 and the Ampeg 21.6kg which might make a difference to you.for me 16kg is about light enough to carry from the car to the stage.the gk will dent more easily but is not as fancy looking as the ampeg which comes with wheels.
    I have a lightweight 12kg Ampeg 210 svtav i use in bars.just about perfect there but also non ported and very little under 60hz..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. ballynally

ballynally

Jun 25, 2017
    the non speakon has likely to do with the old pf series from the 1960s when they used jacks.but yes, it's careless not to add one for the newer series cabs.on the other hand, an adapter is easily found..
    When you say that the pf has a more rounded bass voicing you probably mean rounded off,ie less bottom end.for this reason id go for the GK myself.it's nice to have it in case of bigger stages..

1960jbass likes this.