1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-350 brand new, yellow fault light?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fleur de lys, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Fleur de lys

Fleur de lys

Jul 11, 2014
    Ynys Môn
    Hello I have recently purchased a PF-350 off Sounds Live and i tried it for the first time today with a 210 cab and it's yet to make a noise. When i switched it on a yellow light appears to denote a fault. I have heard on different forums that this is a bit of a known issue, shall i just send it back to sounds live or is there something i've done wrong?

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Send it back. A portion of the early edition PF350s and 500s had known issues of crapping out. You probably got a bad one.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Return it. Have them send you one that works.

4. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Unplug all cables and turn it on again. The yellow light should blink for a second when turning amp on and off.

5. Tazz

Tazz

Jan 21, 2014
    England
    I purchased an ex display PF350 from sounds live recently and its been fine. Might be worth checking that you have the voltage switch at the correct position?

6. As I understand, this yellow light at turn on indicates that the amp is performing a self-test function. Occasionally, my PF-350 will fail to start, and I simply switch it off and immediately switch it back on. The light goes out and the amp plays perfectly afterward. I've never had any other problem with my PF-350, if you consider this a problem.

Edit: I assume that this is a known good cab and cable. If not, the amp may just be protecting itself form a faulty load. It may be worth checking the cab and cables with an ohm meter, or, if you are brave enough, another amp.

7. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    yes always check all cables first. I have two 3' speakon cables, one won't work on my MB F1 and on my Shuttle 9.2. But it works fine on other amps I own. This is also using different combinations of speakers, so could be the cab or the amp this cable doesn't like.

The other speakon cable works fine with all my amps all cabs. Both of these cables came with my TC-E RS210 cabs when I bought them new. They look exactly alike so I've marked the finicky one with a marker with a ? and carry it as a backup. I've never bothered to open the bad cable up to check contacts or messed with amp/cab for issues. I have a few speakon cables so I just make sure I'm carrying good cables with me. Also, I carry a few inst cables in a gig bag, but this is mostly common sense to do so.

8. Fleur de lys

Fleur de lys

Jul 11, 2014
    Ynys Môn
    Yes it blinks once when turning on and off; does this mean it's okay? This is my first amp+cab combo so forgive me for being a bit of a noob.

9. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Your amp is 100% OK. It's a normal thing :)

10. The yellow light should always appear when you switch the amp on; the light indicates that the amp is going through it's self-test routine. The time the light stays on varies with each test, but it could last from a fraction of a second to two or three seconds. The amp will not play while the yellow light is on. After the light goes off, the amp should function normally. On my amp, I find that if the led does not switch off after three or four seconds, it will not switch off for at least several minutes. When this happens, I simply switch the amp off and immediately back on. So far, the amp has always worked perfectly after doing this. If yours doesn't and all the cables and speaker cabinet have been check out, it is tech time.

Edit: There are two other possible issues that I just thought of. Plugging a set of headphones into this amp switches off the signal to the power amp. It may be that the switch contacts on the head phone jack have become dirty and need cleaning. Additionally, the contacts may be dirty on the effects loop jacks. Plug a cable between the effects send and receive jacks and see if the amp works.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. I too think you should return the amplifier. It's a brand new unit purchased with hard earned money. There should be no "drama" in its operation.

12. There is nothing wrong with checking out a few obvious possibilities before you return the amp. If the issue is nothing more than oxidized contacts, this could happen to any amp, regardless of age or brand. You may potentially trade a perfectly good amp for one with real issues.

13. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    In this case - no offence Fleur - the user makes the "drama" ;)
    The amp is fine, works just as it should, blinking "fault" light when turning on and off is a normal thing in those amps.

14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

We've all heard about the issues with PF500's, but I've yet to hear of any issues with the PF350's.

15. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Perhaps I may be wrong on the 350s crapping out like the 500s - but I do believe there were instances of them cutting out. At least a couple according to this poll anyway.http://www.talkbass.com/threads/portaflex-cutting-out-poll.881882/
    Granted, maybe not the numbers the 500s were seeing, but I do recall that only the 800s seemed to have an almost unblemished track record. My fault if that's not the case, I don't want to be spreading misinformation.

Also, I own an 800 and my fault light doesn't turn on or blink with power up. That's supposed to be a normal function of the amp powering on?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  16. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    PF-800 is a new construction, maybe Ampeg decided to change it, to not make the users stresfull :)
    My PF-350 is from 2011 and it blinks every time I turn it on and off, it's my only amp, I use it without backup on every gig, works like a charm inside and outside, with one or two cabs attached.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My PF350 was issue free for over two years till a soundman knocked it off my cab and onto a hard stage, breaking the preamp board. Heard about a small handful of issues that people were having, but not to the degree of the PF500. But if you have a problem PF350, it's a fluke, you should get it replaced, then enjoy when the new one comes.

P-oddz likes this.
  18. lifeoffroadbass

lifeoffroadbass

Aug 7, 2013
    I have a 500 and the light comes on when powering on and off as it is expected to by the manufacturer. I have checked with them its completely normal. It doesn't mean that you don't have other issue that may have happened during transport.

I would recommend what others have already in checking every last option first. Are you using the cable that came with the unit? Verify everything against the setup instructions. If nothing works according to the manual send her back. But don't be discouraged by the previous issues. I have tried many amps in the stores and still came back to this one for its tone. I love it and the issues didn't deter me. All electronics have issues from time to time. I've bought stuff that had a zillion positive reviews yet I got the junker. Good luck!

19. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Same here: my 350 fault light flashes briefly when you turn the amp on.

20. claude81

claude81

Jul 1, 2012
    my 350, in very rarely occasions, blinks both yellow and purple light when turn it on and remains that way until I turn it off. Sometimes I need to do it 3 o 4 times until it starts up normally.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015