1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-350 Fault light?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewM, Feb 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AndrewM

AndrewM

Feb 10, 2013
    So, while playing this evening, my amp decided that it didn't want to play anymore. The yellow fault light came on, and would switch back off after about 30 seconds of not playing, or upon restarting the amplifier. This has never happened before, and I suppose its worth noting that I was playing pretty quietly when this happened. Any ideas as to what could be going on? I know theres a thousand and one things that can go wrong with an amplifier but I'm just looking for any sort of input really.

2. Contact Ampeg service for repair. There is nothing inside the case that the average user could do to repair it.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Did you notice the lights in the room dimming?
    Was the amp hotter than usual?
    Was the bass eq turned up more than usual?

Browned out power will make it fault.

So will getting too hot. Hot lights or positioning the amp in a way that prevents air circulation can make it overheat. This includes blocking the fan or putting the amp up against the wall. There are large heatsinks inside the amp but if the heat isn't taken away, the amp will fault.

Turning up the bass eq is like turning up the volume. So at a lower volume, you can drive the amp into fault with too much bass eq.

If the amp is fine and in the coming days it remains fine, ventilation wasn't blocked, EQ was as usual, then suspect low voltage in the mains. If it continues to fault, as B-string said, consider having it serviced.