1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-350 Head + Ampeg B410HE Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bapesta94, May 22, 2012.

1. bapesta94

bapesta94

May 22, 2012
    I currently own an Ampeg B410HE cab, and am planning on buying the PF-350 head.

Does anyone have this rig? I was just wondering how it will sound and how compatible they will be.

2. The PF-350 is a perfect match for your B410HE cab. The PF-350 will deliver 200 watts to the B410HE at 8 ohms. The cabinet's sensitivity is a bit on the low side, but the PF-350 won't struggle while it pushes it to maximum output. It's a nice sounding cab... the PF-350 will let it shine in all its glory.

3. Agreed. Should be a great match.

4. bapesta94

bapesta94

May 22, 2012
    So I played the rig at a gig last night. It sounded great, but I had to put the Volume and Gain at around 8.5/9 to be heard.

I noticed that the speakers were pushing alot of air when at that level.. Should I be worried about damaging the cab? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

5. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Geez, how loud is your band? I'd be looking at another cab because that's too high on the gain and volume! Then you'll get output @4ohms. But the additional cab will make you heard w/o maxing out that head.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only thing you can do to prevent that is to buy a second 410he. The cab can likely take you cranking it that hard because it puts out only a little bit more than 200w at its absolute peak (Ampeg's power handling rating on that cab is based on when it starts distorting and not when the speakers blow, which is closer to 400w). But running your gear flat out like that is never good in the long run, and with the limiters they put on micro heads, you reach a certain point where turning up will do you no good anyway.

You could add a second B410he and get 150 more watts and twice as much speaker area to move air, and that would be your second cheapest solution. An even cheaper solution would be to tilt back your cab to where the top speakers are pointing up to your head so you can hear it better and then you could turn it down a little and not run your gear flat out. Or you could sell it and get a Heritage SVT-CL/810e ;)

7. bapesta94

bapesta94

May 22, 2012
    I've been messing around with settings on this set up.. I think if I have the volume/gain at 8 it will be fine.

Where should I have the High Frequency attenuation dial on the cab?

If i'm playing the head through the cab 8 will it still damage the cab?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I prefer off but just set it where it sounds best to you.

You are going to have to use your own common sense to answer that one. Everyone's gear is different, everyone plays different, etc. So if your cab starts to sound like it'll explode, it likely will and you better back off of it.

9. bapesta94

bapesta94

May 22, 2012
    Cool.

I should be fine for now.. worst comes to worst I buy another cab.

I've heard the b410he goes well with a 115

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Didn't hear that on here ;) It looks like it should, but a 115 is on the average about half as loud as a 410, will have a completely different tone than your 410 that can work against your 410 just as easily as it'll work with it, and the biggest reason people mix a 410 and 115 (10"s for the highs and 15"s for the lows) is a myth entirely based on looks. That said, I use 115's as much as I use cabs with 10"s. Just not mixed.

11. Feel free to crank it. As a PF-350 owner/user for almost a year, I do not hesitate to turn the gain knob or the volume knob up to maximum (but never at the same time... too loud for bar gigs), but ONLY when pushing a single 8-ohm cabinet. My amp has never complained, but the audience sure has :D

I would be much more concerned about running the PF-350 at 4-ohms load with the gain & volume cranked, like for outdoor gigs, because then you would be testing the amp's maximum power and thermal limits, but no worries at 8-ohms. Of course turn it down if your speakers complain.

12. bapesta94

bapesta94

May 22, 2012
    I feel that if I have the gain/volume at 8ish, it sounds too bright/distorted when playing harder.. which in essence loses the tone I want.

13. As suggested already, another 4r0 cab the same as you have already will work best-getting you more volume & most likely allowing you to keep yr amp at a lower level

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, Rod is right. You bought a fairly low power amp and are pairing it with a budget 410 that doesn't take a lot of power. You either have to work within the confines of what you have or you have to get a rig that can put out more and take more.

15. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I've been going back and forth with this a long time. This is why this site, though not perfect is great. As many know, I'm a dinosaur and really never paid attention to the tech stuff. Well, I've been through 3 350s because of the cutting out issue. Ampeg has been great w me...no matter what is said about them. I used these budget 4x10s...the names not important, 8 ohmers..400w. Well, the amp still cut out. 14g speaker cable, the whole shot.

Last week, I got my 200w svt4x10HE out of the shop...20+ yrs old, got the wiring cleaned up, all checked and blessed (now I just need to get it recovered). Tonight I read this...

"The PF-350 is a perfect match for your B410HE cab. The PF-350 will deliver 200 watts to the B410HE at 8 ohms. The cabinet's sensitivity is a bit on the low side, but the PF-350 won't struggle while it pushes it to maximum output. It's a nice sounding cab... the PF-350 will let it shine in all its glory."

And this...

"I would be much more concerned about running the PF-350 at 4-ohms load with the gain & volume cranked, like for outdoor gigs, because then you would be testing the amp's maximum power and thermal limits, but no worries at 8-ohms".

We played out Friday night with the two budget cabs @ 4 ohms...it cut out. Played out in a slightly smaller place Saturday night withe the one SVT (8 ohms)...and it was loud as ****, way better tone and I didn't turn it past 11oclock (I use a VT Bass as a preamp).

I'm driving to Indy to pick up another 200w HE as soon as I get a loose weekend.

So...the "cutting out issue" had alot to do with my lack of tech smarts.

And, that 350 with the svt4x10he sounds great.

16. Yah, a single SVT410HE at 98db sensitivity, will be as loud as two B410HEs at 95bB sensitivity.

If the SVT410HE is loud as **** at 11 o'clock, then heck man, save yourself some cash, and crank that bad boy to maximum for bigger gigs. That cab can take it, the PF-350 won't flinch, and you will be loud as double ********, plus you only have to move one cab, and have $$ toward another bass. Win-win-win-win. ;)

Personally, instead of a second SVT410HE, I'd be tempted to get a SVT410HLF, for some uber-serious low end. 'Mike in Chicago' sounds like a reggae name to me! Ja mon!

EDIT: Ahhh ... I see your SVT410HE is an older model... Hmmm I don't know what the sensitivity is for it, and you say it is only rated 200 watts, not 500 watts like the current issue. Yah , crank it till it complains (starts sounding weird) then back off, then you'll know.

17. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Anyone still using a setup like this?