1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF-350 really 250w in 8homs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maturanesa, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Hi!

i own an ampeg portaflex 350 head that supposedly delivers 250w connected to a 8ohms cab, and 350w connected to a 4ohms cab (or two 8ohms cabs)...

I usually play with one 8ohms cab and to my ears its far from delivering 250w... I cant play with a drummer at less than 7.5/8 volume and master (without the -10db cut)

Is there any fact or equation about ohms and watts?
    Is just 250w a weak wattage to play in a band context?
    Sometimes i also play with an old Fender 160w combo and works like a champ...

What can be really happening with the ampeg?

thanx

2. There is a lot of volume to be had in your gain knob and your EQ. What are those set at?

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Dont forget the efficiency of the speaker has an effect on the SPL.

4. The head have two volume knobs(gain and master), that i usually use at 7/7.5 both to hear me.

The eq is almost plain, about Bass 6.5, Mid 4, Treble 6

5. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I know some Ampeg head have high rating for their true power. I had a SVT-3PRO and that thing wasn't loud at all.

6. +1

What cab are you using?

7. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Yeah the cab matters a lot. I have a Hartke combo that is only rated 200 watts and that thing is loud.

8. Its a custom cab with a 15' peavey speaker

9. Any idea the sensitivity rating? A 3 dB bump in speaker sensitivity is like doubling your amplifiers power.

10. My personal experience with the PF-350 was that it felt like it's rated wattage. I was really impressed with the power out of it actually! At least for the price.

11. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wattage does not equal volume. And dial settings tell you nothing. Methinks your custom 15" cab is not up to the task.