Ampeg PF-350 vs PF-500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ShiftyShift, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    I have a question regarding the 2 amps. I'm not sure which one I should get. Would the PF-350 (running 2 1x15 cabs) be loud enough for a hard rock band playing small to medium venues, or should I save a bit more and get the PF-500? I need this head ASAP so If the PF-350 can do this well I'd rather get that, though If the PF-500 would be more suited to the job, I guess I can spare an extra hundred. Any help on this?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    PF350 and PF500 have very little volume difference, but they do have a pretty significant difference in headroom. If you don't play loud, it doesn't matter, but if you do, it's good to have headroom to keep your signal clean and not break up. I have the PF350 because I don't play super loud, but especially with micros, headroom is your friend, so I'd suck up the extra hundy and go PF500.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Gotta agree. Those are both great sounding heads, imho, but the extra few watts means cleaner and louder before distortion (the bad kind) gets in the way. :cool:

4. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    So, would the PF-350 still be loud enough for medium Venues? I don't mind if it gets a little grindy as long as it doesn't like crackle every time I touch a string. I guess the PF-500 is the better choice, but I need this amp SOON and I need it A LOT.

5. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Anybody?

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    One bassist's medium is another's large and another's small. Your Mom's garage? A silent country church? quiet cafe? noisy small bar? barn-sized beer hall with terracotta walls? VFW with adjacent bowling alley? a cow-punk sports bar crammed with 375 excited female rodeo fans? a huge senior citizen's center cafeteria? a county fair with noisy arcade and giant midway? an empty cowshed the size of 3 city blocks? ;) :D :D :D ;)

How loud is your band? Have PA support? Which 115 cabs?

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Go for the extra watts. I run 300w with a 115 a lot and find that there are times even in small or medium venues that I want my other 115 to get the full 500w (although it's really the extra speaker area and piston area thats giving me the most of the extra SPL). Outdoors, I really do want both cabs and the 500w, with few exceptions. There have also been times I wish I had even more SPL. It all depends on just how loud you will need to play. Only you can answer that.

8. +1 to that whole post.

I second the question on what cab you are using. Having extra wattage doesnt matter if your cab cant handle it.

9. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I just tried both heads on a 115HE cab

go with the PF500....much much louder and more tone options with the mid range selector.

with a Rickenbacker 4003 I played Floyd, Sabbath, Cream and some 12 bar blues and few other diddling around things. nice tones for all that with minimal fiddling with switches and knobs

the PF 350 with gain and master at 12 was not very loud

10. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    The "cow-punk sports bar crammed with 375 excited female rodeo fans" sounds the closest. My band is pretty loud, loud enough to get even or over that noise at least. I'll be using an old handmade TL606 design with a 400w Eminence, and a Peavey cab loaded with a 300w Eminence. I'm pretty sure they can handle it (I've ran a 600w Acoustic head trough em, and an SVT) Oh, and no PA support (no monitors even) So all the sound reaching the crowd will be coming from that head.

11. I wanna know where the cow-punk bar with 375 excited females is? Is Hank III playing there? :hyper:

12. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Theres about 100 in eastern Kansas where I gig, and they're great. You can play anything you want as long as its pre-1985. We played Thela Hun Ginjeet for a bunch of backwoods girls once and they loved it. :D

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021