1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-350?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fifthstone, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fifthstone

fifthstone

Jun 6, 2010
    Central CT
    I'm considering an Ampeg PF-350 as my first gig rig. I've read a lot of disturbing reviews of the PF series unreliability, but they mostly seem to be about the 550. Any first hand experience here regarding reliability of this line of amps?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The problems were fixed long ago. If you buy new, you shouldn't have a problem. I love mine. Sounds very good. Drives a 215 4ohm cab LOUD. but it's backup now that I have the Pf-800.

3. I got my PF-350 right after they came out, and that was four and a half years ago.
    It's been the perfect micro head for me, through a single 2x10", 1x12", or 1x15" cab.
    Never had any issue with it.

High Camp likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    PF350's always been reliable. The PF500 had a few problems out the gate, but they've been fixed for a good 3 years at least.

pcake likes this.
  5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I for one like mine very much.
    IMHO a very good sounding, easy handling amp.

6. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Out the gate? Aren't these amps a good 6 to 7 years old now?
    I know you endorse ampeg and all that but as for the the pf 350 always being reliable, wasn't there a cut out poll where about a 3rd of the people with the 350 experienced cut outs?

7. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I ain't endorsing anybody and I can tell you I have had zero issues with any Ampeg amp or cab I have had, including the PF350.

brbadg likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh gee, it says "show ignored content." Let me guess who that could be.

On second thought, let me just ignore him some more.

9. fifthstone

fifthstone

Jun 6, 2010
    Central CT
    I should've searched first, as there appear to be tons of posts on this subject. Thanks all.

10. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Generally folks would scowl and say SEARCH! We Ampeg heads are always happy to discuss anything Ampeg. Over and over again. :D

AJBass-85 likes this.
  11. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I had one and didn't care for it. Darn thing clipped mercilessly, and didn't push a 4x10 cab very hard.

12. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I wanted to check up on how the current PF-500s are doing? I had a very problematic Pf-800 a year or so ago, which left a bad taste for this series of amps. However, having played an Ampeg SVT4 at rehearsal for a bit, I'm liking the sound and bought a PF-500. Those amps sound almost identical, BTW.
    Wondering if should expect problems down the road.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I got a new PF-350 three years ago when my 2 other heads both landed in the shop at the same time. I used it with an epifani UL1 210. It founded fine, but I was mostly using it for upright. Eventually I sold it, but my overall impression was that it really didn't have enough power to drive that very capable 210 hard. When it runs out of gas, it is soon and very noticeable, IME.

I'd recommend more power. The PF-800 is noticeably more powerful, but way bigger and more expensive. If you still want small and light, you might consider a different more powerful head. Prehaps Aguilar, Gallien Kruger, or Peavey.

What is wrong with your current rig for gigs?

14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    I got a used 350 a few years ago and I play it loudly quite often with no issues.
    In fact I use it more often than my 7 pro just because it can handle just about every situation I need. I only bust out the 7 now when playing with my metal band at shows. It keeps up just fine at rehearsals for the metal band through a 410he backline cab at crazy earplug volumes, and I often pair it with my 210av as my hit and run rig with my classic rock cover band.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  15. Grooveline

Grooveline

Jan 24, 2012
    Early gen PF350 owner here. Never had any problems.

16. fifthstone

fifthstone

Jun 6, 2010
    Central CT
    Thanka. I wound up picking up a new Gallien-Krueger 700RB II head and 2x12 Neo cab. From what I read, it sounds like the GK's are highly reliable. The tones are great. Not like an Ampeg, but am getting a good version of that tone using a Pigtronix Fat Distortion for some light drive. This was my first gig rig, my previous amp being an SWR LA10 practice amp.

Jim Carr and Fingerpickingood like this.
  17. I've had a PF-500 for about four years. I have played in almost every conceivable outdoor weather condition (from just above freezing with snow to 100 degrees in the sun with no shade) and every type of configuration (from head phones only to two 2x10 cabs at 4 ohms and hooked to the house system at the same time). I've had no issues at all. I trust it and never carry a backup. If they sucked they wouldn't continue to sell them. There are other great options on the market that are a bit smaller and lighter if that's important to you. There is a lot of good stuff at the PF-350 and PF-500 price point.

fifthstone likes this.