1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AMPEG PF 50 how do you use the DIs live?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JWS, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:02 PM.

1. Hi Bass experts,

I have a new used AMPEG PF 50 in my possession and ask my self how do I want to "DI out" at the next live gig? How do you use it live?

1. Both DIs simultaneously -> is there any chance for phase problems?
    Both DIs one pre the other of course with Level issues when i need to get louder on stage.

2. Just the one after Powertubes...

3. Just the one after preamp tubes ... post

4. Just the one after preamp tube .. pre

Endless options.. what are your experiences?
    Thanks for all your effort and expertise in advance.

Greatings from Bavaria.

PS: Style of Playing... fast and funky, Bass Sadowsky 5 String (sometimes aktive, most Passiv), Cab 2 by 12 horn...

BOOG likes this.
  2. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Why do you need multiple DI sends to the front of house?

bftbassman and Hurricane Jimmie like this.
  3. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, I'd only send one signal to FOH. More than that and you're asking the FOH staff to spend more time with your sound than necessary.
    And we'd love to hear about Bavaria!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019 at 12:27 AM
    BOOG likes this.
  4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I have the PF20T but same applies, I always use the Transformer Out DI.

5. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    As a general rule, send FOH pre-EQ. Many FOH techs/companies always use an external DI box before the amp to be safe, in which case you don't need the amp DI at all.

If you don't change the settings on the amp during a gig, then you can talk to FOH about their preference for your other DI options on the PF50T.

lowplaces likes this.
  6. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    While your "awesome overdriven tone" may sound Great to you, the FOH may think not. Most likely they may think wth is this guy sending us?

byacey likes this.
  7. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Exactly.

8. _Some Dude

_Some Dude

Sep 14, 2016
    A few years ago I joined a soundman forum asking for advice and the gist was pre-eq DI was preferable with solid state and post-eq DI with tubes.

I’ve never had an issue sending post-EQ to the soundman.

johnpbass likes this.
  9. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    If that forum is anything like TB...well, you know. :roflmao:

It sounds like both you and the FOH people you work with know what you're doing. I'm not sure where you are, but out here FOH seems to like pre-EQ unless the cab is also getting mic'ed. What will piss them off is getting some wildly EQ'd feed that sounds good on the stage amp that they have to reverse EQ.

grouse789 likes this.
  10. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    New Jersey
    I run our pa on gigs and always use the transformer out di. Sounds great coming through the pa.

Kro, lowplaces and DJ Bebop like this.
  11. If it was me, I'd use the transformer out :)

Kro and lowplaces like this.
  12. drumvsbass

drumvsbass

Aug 20, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I totally get the clean D.I. to F.O.H. crowd here. However, the transformer out on these heads is friggin glorious. I have never had a sound guy say anything other than gushingly positive things about the way this head sounds. For playing 'bass' the PF50T is easily my fav amp.

13. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Some A-Hole tells you to plug-in. You do. Then you complain about the mix at the end of the gig. Not much more to it than that.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Transformer DI out is the only way to go, trust me! That way the house gets the entire sound of the amp, and not just pre or post-EQ. But just remember that whatever you send to your cab goes to the house, so you don't want to be making drastic changes during a show. Knobs at noon is how you get flat response out of it, though, so when in doubt about your house sound, they're a good reference point for any sound tech to deal with. And make sure you tell the tech that if he gives you any static. I like to scoop a tiny bit of mid at 800 hz and reduce treble myself, but YMMV.

johnpbass, Kro, lowplaces and 2 others like this.
  15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hallo JWS :)

The tranformer D.I. is great! Use it!

Why would you need to get louder? With a good monitor you should always hear yourself!

=> No volume wars on stage!!!! :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Iristone and JimmyM like this.
  16. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The "Pre" DI is the cleanest and loudest (in my experience).

17. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Seriously, that is THE reason to have that amp. IMO and whatever, but it'd be a shame not to.