Ampeg PF 500 or Ampeg SVT pro 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by descendent22, Apr 10, 2018.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Currently I have an Ampeg portaflex pf 500 solid state head. It's great Head as most Ampeg product is but I'm looking for more tone options or more grind and grit. I would like to go tube also. Really I would love a v4b but I just don't have the $$. I'm taking steps towards the big boy. I have a SVT classic 610 HLF cab and I wanna move up a step with a different head. Pretty much I started my AMPEG line from the BA series to portflex to now possibly going pro series. I've already posted a thread asking for info about the Pro 3 but I want more info about it. Is it better then then portaflex pf500 ?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There is an SVT 6 Pro on Reverb for $550 right now. I would offer even a tiny bit less than that.

I have owned every tube and hybrid ever made except for the 5 and 7. I have owned a blueline vintage and currently own a late SLM SVT-CL.

The 6 Pro is the BEST SVT ever made that isn't 300W all-tube. It will go from modern to tubey goodness with a turn of the voltage knob. Is has 4 tubes in the preamp if I recall. It's just the best hybrid they ever made to me.

Flaky Tuna and High Camp like this.
  3. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Yes, the Pro 3 sounds better to me, but it's not a big day and night difference.
    It does produce a noticeable better grind.

IMHO IME YMMV

75kva and BasturdBlaster like this.
  4. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    That's what I'm looking for mainly as far as tone goes. A good grind and grit. So you're telling me this head has a nice gritty tone if I dial it in correctyl?For my budget of around 400$ there's some nice used ones

5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Go for it! And don't be too shy with cranking the gain.

rickdog and descendent22 like this.
  6. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What's the difference between the SVT pro 3s 1st gen and 2nd gen if there are any differences? Which is better?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm pretty sure it's the same amp it's always been. There was an SVT 3 non-pro that was all SS and people who own them have told me they like them very much, but I can't tell much difference in the sound of new 3 Pros vs the one from 94 that I used to have.

That said, I've got the PF800, which is the same preamp as the 500, and getting a good grind out of it is as simple as cranking the gain.

75kva likes this.
  8. 75kva

75kva

Feb 11, 2011
    Kingston, Canada
    Own both and to my ear , the pf sounds a bit nicer although either sounds good to me . Bought the 3 pro after trying several other class d amps that had no character . The Hartke tx 600 had no mojo what so ever!

9. If I could find a straight trade, Ampeg 3Pro for my Ampeg PF 800, I'd jump at the chance. The 3Pro is twice the amp, regardless of lower wattage.
    I rented a 3Pro and was astounded at its punch and clarity.
    I compare the two as the difference between a low torque, high horsepower 4 cyl to a high torque, but perhaps lower horsepower v8.

10. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I had a different experience with SVT pro 3. I was looking for that punch and clearity and it just didn't have it at all.i thought my Portaflex pf500 had way more punch grit and clearity. As much as I love Ampeg I ended up changing to Fender. I'm not looking back