1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg PF-50T As Flip Top?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freight Train, May 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been considering adding a PF-50T and either a PF-115HE or PF-210HE to my arsenal. But I could have sworn I read in some thread that the PF-50T will not work as a flip-top with these cabinets without some modification to the cab, that only the solid state PF's work without modifications. I've searched every way I know but can't find those threads. Can an Ampeg user verify one way or the other, will the PF-50T work with these cabs as is? Also, anyone find a huge advantage of one of those cabs over the other, other than just the personal preference of 2x10's vs. a 15? I've been playing 4x10's for a few decades now, and was really wanting to go with the PF-115HE on this rig for the different flavor. Curious though that the PF-210HE has casters but the PF-115HE does not.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Paging @JimmyM

I could be wrong but I think you're right. :D

Seriously I think you have to mod the cabs for it to work.....which is.just silly to me. Make the gap wide enough to handle both (the micros and the PF heads) and then you only have to make one mounting board. I literally would cost them zero toare them that way and it would open the product line to a whole new market.

Honestly, I would just have somebody make me a cab or make it myself before going to the trouble of trying to peel back Tolex and all the other crap that would go along with modding one from Ampeg.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Older PF cabs don't work but more recent ones do. I don't know the date they were changed, but when they first came out, the tube heads hadn't been thought of yet.

As for the sound, they're sort of similar but the 115 has lower lows.

4. justbass57

justbass57 Supporting Member

I couldn't find the thread, but someone mentioned that you could use the 50T, all that was needed was a shorter bolt (I don't recall which Ampeg cab they were talking about).

5. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I'd go with a PF-115HE. As an aside, I've been playing my B200R a lot lately and thinking how much it would look like a B-15 if I stuck a PF-50T on top--I might have to try that.

punchclock likes this.
  6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Both cabs have casters.
    They are identical except for the speaker part.
    As JimmyM stated correctly (as always :D), the 115HE goes lower than the 210HE.
    Regarding mounting a PF50T: if you buy a new cabinet, you're good to go.

To be honest, I myself am not sure about mounting the PF50T or not, once I have my PF50T.

7. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    When I saw the Ampeg guy at GearFest last summer he mentioned that older PF cabs can be converted by Ampeg somehow. I assume there is a fee for that and it likely only applies to original owners of the old style cabs. As Jimmy said, the current 115 and 210 will flip with the PF tube amps. The 112 of course is too small to allow for that but really is the most portable option for those using the setup for gigs. Add the weight of the amp to one of the bigger PF cabs and you end up with a package that this old geezer would not want to haul. Of course it's all relative. SVT lovers will likely call me a wimp for saying such a thing.

I'm not sure, but think that the 115 and 210 are both sealed cab designs whereas the 112 (which does not flip) is ported.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm seriously interested in the P-50T. I've been jonesing for an all tube head for years, and pairing one with a 115HE cabinet would be the perfect amp for my Man Cave. I'm really liking what I'm hearing from it on the videos I've found on Youtube, especially when Dino dials up a Portaflex type-tone with it.

9. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I've been a Bassman 100T/410Neo owner for 5 years now, and it's my favorite rig since i started in 1966. I most often use the 100T in 25 watt mode anyway, so I know the 50 watt P-50T will (should) do what i want. just wanted a smaller all-tube rig for our gigs that have difficult access or smaller stages. And having the different Ampeg flavor will be very interesting. I exclusively use the 100T's D.I. in the post-power tube mode, so the P-50T having that and the dual-D.I. thing really sold me.

10. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Received my PF-50T/PF-115HE yesterday. PF-50T mounts no problem to the flip-top lid; no need to get longer screws or saw on cabinet bracing as previously reported. I was told by Ampeg that they made the modification on the cab to accommodate the PF-50T two years ago, but unfortunately there's no serial number reference to determine whether a cab has the mod or not. Just any PF-115 two years old or newer.

11. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    Think you will like the 115, I sure do. And, oh the humanity, I have the 210 stacked right on top of it!

12. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ? Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Congrats ! I dig my PF-50T so much I ordered a second one while the rebate was happening.

Join the club !
    Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

13. Mastermold

I'm thinking about using mine with my 810 this weekend. I hear it sounds good so I'm going to check it out for myself.

14. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Not THAT! Not THAT! Oh nooooooo...

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  15. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    I was thinking the same thing! THe PF series cabs are cool looking but the B200's look more like an old B15.
    I can a B200R combo and 2 B200R cabs minus the amps.... Those B200's are infamous for their shakes and rattles. I like using the cabs with other heads but they both shake so much even a 25lb head "walks" on them. Even if I could mount it, I don't think that much shaking would be good for a tube amp.

16. Mastermold

It works just fine at reasonable volumes:

Attached Files:

17. punchclock

punchclock

Mar 19, 2007
    Kansas City
    That's gorgeous!
    Does yours still have the amp in it?
    Did you have to take the handle off the top? or do the feet on the PF-50T clear it?

I've read mixed reviews on the rattles and shakes. Roll of the dice. Some fine, some not, US or Overseas.

Glad you got a good one!

Mastermold likes this.
  18. Wimp!:roflmao:

19. Mastermold

Thanks. I removed both the chassis and the handle so it's just a cabinet for now.

punchclock likes this.