1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF-800 or Fender TB600c

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gbass75, Nov 2, 2013.

1. ...or something else?

I've got about $900 to spend , and I play a 62 Precision reissue, a 63 Precision reissue, and a Ric 4001v63.

I have limited space in the home, and am playing smaller rooms (max capacity 400)... so I wanted something powerful but compact.

There is a lightly used TB600c on ebay... seller wants $799 + $125 shipping (NY to CA).

American Musical Supply has the PF-800 with the PF210HE cab for $999.98 (free shipping).

What would YOU do?

The TB600c weighs a f**k-ton, but is said to be solidly built and sounds great.

The PF-800 is more powerful, lighter, and is said to sound great... but, I'm really nervous about Ampeg's reputation around the Portaflex series of amps. It seems like folks think the workmanship and quality of build is not the best. I've also heard folks say that the PF cabs leak too much air/sound because of the huge cut for the flip-lid (saying that it doesn't seal).

Can y'all tell me about your experience with either rig? Which would you purchase?

I prefer a more vintage, passive tone (if you couldn't already tell).

Thoughts?

Thanks!!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    In the 6 months or so that the PF800 has been out, I've seen only one reported problem on here, and it turned out to be an external problem with the person's bass rather than the head. Other than that, I've seen nothing except good reviews. The majority of problems were with the PF500, and the problems have been fixed after a handful of revisions. As for the cabs, I had two PF115he's and neither leaked, nor have any of the many PF cabs I've played at stores. While there have been a handful of problems with leaking around the fliptop reported, they are easily fixed by repositioning the rubber grommet used to seal it.

I'll give it up for the TB amps, though. They're quite good. But they're discontinued, and that price seems super high for a discontinued hybrid amp. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the Fender tone stack, which is boost only for treble and bass, cut only for mids, whereas the Ampegs let you cut and boost all 3. Both are quite usable, but I prefer an amp that lets you cut and boost all freq ranges.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I'm an Ampeg endorser, but I'm a pretty honest one :D

3. New with warranty 800 watt amp and cab slightly more than a discontinued 600 watt used combo. Not that hard a choice. IMHO :)

4. Yeah... I figured it wouldn't take too long for someone to point that out.

I actually see that there's a PF 410 HLF on eBay (slightly used) for a bit over $400. I may just get that and a new PF-800; a la carte.

Still mulling it over...

5. I know you are, and I know you are, Jimmy.

I also figured it wouldn't take long for you to chime on on this one. ;-)

I really appreciate your input... Thanks!

6. I'd go with the one still under warranty. :) You should be able to pick up that PF800 and the cab for less than a grand. Call 'em and see if they won't do a deal for you.

7. Do you have a particular seller you recommend I attempt to negotiate with? Like Music 123 or Sweetwater?

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    If it's an 8 ohm cab, then I would tell AMS to throw in a second PF210 cab for an additional 200 bucks and see if they bite.

9. Sweetwater and tell them you are a TB member.

10. I bought a PF-800 a couple of months ago along with the PF410HLF and the PF115LF.

I wasn't fond of the sound of the 4x10 but love the 115. I swapped it over for another PF115LF, so now I have a pair of matched boxes.

The rig has been used for half a dozen loud rehearsals, home practice and a 3 hour gig last night. The room held 150 people, I was playing with an 8 piece Stones tribute show, and I only took 1 cabinet. We played non-stop for 2 and a half hours so I feel this was a good test of the amp.

I needed to run at 12 o'clock on the master to keep up with the stage sound and punch it out to the back of the room. The gain was set between 12 and 1 o'clock - just got a little bit of red flashing on the input gain light. The soundman also took a DI feed off the back of the amp to the PA which was just a couple of 12 inch pole mounted speakers, foldback wedges, and didn't have any subs.

I got great comments from my muso buddies in the crowd on the tone and balls in my sound and the rig filled the whole room no problem. For reference the guitar I was using was a Fender Sting Signature with a replacement pickup by Lindy Fralin.

I haven't had any kind of problem with the amp at all, so I would tend to agree with Jimmy that whatever issues plagued the earlier versions of the PF-500 are not present in the PF-800.

As far as the Portaflex cabs go, I felt the fliptop cabs were a bit on the chintzy side. The shelf ported cabs that I went for seemed much more robust and better to move around with the side handles.

I can heartily recommend the PF-800, and depending on your tonal preferences, the PF115 is to my ear a better cabinet than the PF410. Give both a try and see what you think.

11. This is GREAT! Thank you!

So, then... are the PF115 and PF410 cabs NOT flip-top units?

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The PF115he and PF210he are fliptops, the PF115lf and 410hlf aren't. Frankly, I think flipping the top is overrated. It's my least favorite part about owning a B-15 ;)

13. Yes that right mate. The fliptops are both smaller and have the HE suffix to their model numbers. Here is a good demo of the non-fliptops that I went for:

I am sure the fliptops are good sounding, but personally didn't see any benefit putting the amp inside the cab when you can carry it easily in a laptop back over your shoulder. I also thought the open top has got to make the cab less robust and make it less tight sounding.

Cheers,

Mark

14. Will just one of these cabs not be enough to handle the PF800?

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    The Portaflex cabs will take a pounding that should be enough for most normal applications, like it could fill a theater or a medium club. But you'll be able to blow the cab with that head if you're really slamming it. OTOH, headroom in micros is quite welcome, since most of them don't have a lot in the tank past their RMS power rating, and I think the tone of the PF800 benefits at higher volumes from having that headroom vs the PF500. I notice the same thing with the Micro VR vs the PF350. Same sound, but the PF350 hits harder when you start getting the volume up.

16. The PF-800 puts out 500 watts at 8 ohms so is 100 watts more that the PF115LF is rated for. The PF410HLF is an 800 watt cab.

I think either cab on its own would be fine, the 410 obviously, the 115 with a little care exercised not to over load it.

17. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I have tried all of the PF cabs and without a doubt the 115LF is my favorite (and they cost the least).

I like using Samash.com. They usually are willing to give customers 15% off - with free shipping and no tax added.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    The PF800 actually puts out 400 Watts RMS at 8ohms. But it is true what you say about being careful not to over load the 115.
    I've got an Orange OBC115 that I pair at home with the PF800 that sounds fantastic, but I can definitely tell when I start approaching too much.