Ampeg pf-800 update: shut down!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by versicolor, Apr 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Hey all. Well after my glowing review of the Ampeg pf-800 and 410/115 I've decided to return the pf-800 head. Since my review it has gone into shutdown numerous times and as much as I like the tone and sound of it I cant justify a $600 800 watt head shutting down randomly when pushed or when really digging in. At first I assumed it was cutting out due to the gain/volume being set too high but it has gone into shutdown multiple times even with it set at what I would consider to be very reasonable levels. I hate the feeling that it might cut out and I don't think that should be a worry. So after spending the day researching, I've decided to send it back and exchange it for a Peavy mini mega. I'd love to stick with an ampeg head to go with my ampeg cabs, but after experiencing the same thing with my pf-350, which is one of the reasons I went all out and bought the pf-800, I feel like I need to go in another direction now. I can't find even one issue with the min mega cutting out. It's the same price as the Ampeg, is 1000 watts rms @4ohms and from what I can see is rock solid. I have no hate for Ampeg. I still love the cabs and the tone of the amp heads. I just can't see spending $600 and having to deal with that issue. Comments and thoughts are welcome. Feel free to chime in. Thanks guys.

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Maybe the PF800 didn’t like you mixing a 4x10 with a 1x15. :D

Sorry it didn’t work out for you.

3. Mowbro

Mowbro

Jul 6, 2015
    I had issues with my mini mega when I owned one. Had it repaired and eventually replaced under warranty. Some had similar experiences I had. Others haven’t had issues. Maybe I received a bad one? The issue with mine was when I would go to use it the next time it wouldn’t turn on.

4. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    I knew that was coming. Haha. I feel like any cab/amp combination should be able to at least operate properly together providing ohms are all correct etc. The mere combining of the 410/115 stack should not cause a thermal protection shutdown in my opinion. Especially in light of ampeg marketing all the cabs as single or combo options with any of the heads.

bdplaid likes this.
  5. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Did it ever shut down on you though? As in cut out while in the middle of jamming?

6. Mowbro

Mowbro

Jul 6, 2015
    Not while I was playing. I’d turn it off until the next time I would use it. Then I’d turn it on and it wouldn’t come on.

7. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    That’s disappointing, I’d hoped they’d sorted out the problems with the PF series by now.

Garret Graves and versicolor like this.
  8. Did you try running it with just one cab? Maybe it doesn't like a 4 ohm load.

9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Ampeg

10. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    I didn't try that. I'm not even gonna bother because these amps are supposed to be able to handle 4ohms with no issues.

Bassdirty likes this.
  11. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    My pf-350 did the same thing when I had it hooked up to the 410 and a 210. I had emailed Ampeg about that issue but the guy just told me to back off on the gain/volume. IDK it seems like I should be able to utilize the functions available on the amp. I've never set the dials too extreme but it seems to me like you should be able to push it at least a little. I don't want to seem like I'm bashing Ampeg. It's frustrating. $600 might not be an extreme amount in the context of the bass amp world but it's a huge purchase in the context of mine. I feel like in that range it shouldn't be an issue at all.

12. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've run my PF500 into 4 ohms for four plus years and never have had a shutdown. -

kobass and TinyE like this.
  13. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Dumb question maybe, but when I first got my svt350 in 1995 the fan never powered up and the amp would run just fine under a mild load. But as soon as I pushed it, it would shut down. Once the fan was fixed we were all good. That head is still kickin today.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  14. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Fan seems to be fine

15. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Me too with my PF800. Last summer it ran on a late-July Saturday in Ohio under a 4-ohm load from 9:00 AM until around 4:00 PM at moderate volume I'd say. It may be apples and oranges, and I'm not disputing the op, but mine has been flawless, especially with the Portaflex cabs.

16. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Yeah that's weird. I'm sure lots of people have had no issues. I wish i was one of them because I really like the tone of the ampeg amps. Even the 350. Great punchy big sound. 800 the same but even better. I'm bummed about it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018

17. has it been to an authorized repair station? There were some stability issues with the PF series early on but E.C.O.s were issued for units repaired under warranty in the field and we see very few of these at the shop now. The OP's unit may have been New Old Stock that sat on a dealer's shelf for a while that only needs the ECO's implemented.

*E.C.O's= engineering change orders

Garret Graves likes this.
  18. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Well this is a brand new unit that I just ordered last week and received Thursday. How would I find out if it is new old stock. Is there a number on it or something that would indicate?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  19. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    I see Ampeg is still having probs wit the PF amps. A couple of years ago I had the same probs as you with a PF800 and back it went. The issues with the PF500 are legendary.

It's too bad because for the 5 or 30 minutes the PF800 worked, I really liked the sound of it. Even though I thought is wasn't very loud for it rated power.

Now I use a Quilter BB800, which is a monster amp in its own right, and if i want the Ampeg sound I put an Ampeg SCR-DI in front of the Quilter. Works great, and is much more reliable and versatile than the PF800 alone.

20. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Yeah it's a great sounding head. At first I thought oh well I'll just be sure to never have the gain and volume set very high. But then I thought, no way, I should be able to crank this thing without having to be concerned about it shutting down. I'm not even really pushing it and I have to be careful. It's too bad. I wanted to be able to keep this thing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021