Ampeg PF Cab Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fireball827, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Fireball827

Fireball827 Guest

Dec 15, 2017
    I'm looking to upgrade amps from my little Peavey Max 126. I've heard really good things about the Ampeg PF series, and have decided to get a PF-350 head.

The trouble is, I don't know what cab(s) to pair with it. I was going to start with a PF-115HE, but I'm not sure if it would be better to do that or the LF model.

In addition, I know that I will probably want to expand later, and I don't know whether it would be better to expand into another of the same 115 cab, or to add a 210. I've heard that cabs should stay matched, but I've also heard that the sound you can get from the two of them is pretty good.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Great choice for a head...bargain priced and sounds great. I've got one my own self. Your choice for a cab should be based on how much low end you want. The PF112hlf has the most rolled off low end, similar to an SVT 810e or 410he. Great sounding medium duty cab, and as I love the rolled off low end of an 810e, it's my choice. The others are all heavy duty, so if you're planning to be balls out loud, they would be a better choice. Next for low end would be the the PF210he...a little more low end than an 810e, but still very much in that ballpark. The PF115he goes even lower, the PF115lf lower still, and the PF410hlf goes super low.

As for expanding, the PF210he and PF115he do pair well together according to friends who have both, but I always get matching cabs because I think they sound better to my ears. So my advice would be to keep them matching.

3. Fireball827

Fireball827 Guest

Dec 15, 2017
    Thanks so much for your help. I'm definitely eyeing the 410. I figure if there's too much low end I can EQ it away. (But then again, there's never too much low end.)

JimmyM likes this.
  4. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    FWIW, I'm running a PF-800 w/a PF-115HE & a PF-210HE, and IMHO they each sound great on their own and together if you like a more retro/mid-forward sound. If you play a 5-string or tune down then maybe an LF would be the way to go.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yes there can be :D

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Excellent choice.
    Remember that the 410 cab has an 8 ohm load, so you can always add another one (not that you would ever need it, two 410 cabs will get you crazy loud)

7. Fireball827

Fireball827 Guest

Dec 15, 2017
    I down-tune a 5 string :smug:

Thanks again for all of the help! The order has been placed for the 410 and I'm glad that you guys think I've made a good choice. I already can't wait for it to arrive. :D