1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF350 Fault

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom grossheider, Nov 18, 2018.

1. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    I've read a few threads on this already, as well as some of the poll thread. Bought this one used last year, never cranked it much until a guy drove 2 hours to buy it (I'm using a GK MB800 on a 2x12 cab now) and when we had the volume on 3 o'clock, gain at 12 o'clock it kept cutting out and the fault light came on. Cleaned the speaker contacts, headphone jack, effects loop jacks, tried different cables, added another 8 ohm cab but still cuts out when hitting it a bit hard. I don't think that is normal, and definitely not overheated either. I don't think I'll have any recourse with Ampeg as it is probably long out of warrantee. Obviously I could not sell it in that condition, bummer for both of us. Just looking for some recent thoughts or fixes. There is an Ampeg service guy not too far away, but expensive. I really like the amp, just wondering if I have a chance with Ampeg. Thanks for looking.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Call Ampeg and see if they have any other options for you? There may be another service center that specializes in this series of amp, or they may have a regional service center that could help.

tom grossheider likes this.
  3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The early revisions had issues that Ampeg addressed. I agree, you should call or email them, include your serial number, and ask for assistance.

If the amp is fine, the issue could have been caused by low line power.

4. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks guys, I’ll give them a call tomorrow. Cleaned all the jacks, swapped cabs, cables. Works ok with volume at 2 o’clock, but fails at 3.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Time to call Ampeg.

6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    350 stands for 350 days I guess.

Think revision E thru G finally got the fix.
    Not sure but it was a few letters there

There's whole replacement boards for sale on the Web. All else fails.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  7. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Talked to Ampeg support and they only offered advice to replace the board. www.fullcompass.com. I can do that myself, rather than a tech guy do it. I appreciate all the advice.

8. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I suspect that Yamaha will be dropping the PF-350. Parts will become even more difficult to find. They used to sell the main board, all they have listed now is the preamp assembly.

I see that FullCompas is selling the amp for $299 and it isn't black friday.

9. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    I’m seeing that as well at full compass. At instrumentalparts.com they list the main board for $179. Might as well just play it with the volume at 8 instead of 9.

10. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Aww I was wondering about that.

Didn't see any 350 boards
    Guess they sold alot :/

Think power supply is notorious gutless?
    Maybe beef it up

At a quick glance looked liked ampeg learned their lessons by the time they got to these new class D combo amps. They seem more beefy and the power supply is vented better

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  11. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    It is a cool portable lower powered amp. I have a GK MB800 to use as well.

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Full Compass may be able to order the main board but as I recall, the $179 from the other place is in the ballpark.

13. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I'm one of the Parts guys at Full Compass, give us a call or message me if you need anything. We put a pretty small percentage of our parts on the website as there are just too many. I'll always match instrumentalparts.com prices too...no commission to worry about.

14. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks! I waited on the phone for a bit and hung up, but I did not find the board part number on your site. 2034538-00, only the pre-amp board.

15. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    Ya, sorry, there's only 3 of us and I'm out of the office. So we can get backed up sometimes. Leave a message or shoot us an Email (parts@fullcompass.com) I'll do my best to check on this for you when I get back in tomorrow.

BassmanPaul and S-Bigbottom like this.
  16. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks, I had some pressing issues keeping me from waiting on the phone. I'll be in touch. Thank you!

Systolic likes this.
  17. Systolic

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    The main board is part# 2034538-00 and I show we sell it for $148.99. Give us a call to get it ordered if you like.

18. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    Thanks for the great response on the part. I'll need to pull the chassis and check it over, then I will get back to you asap. Much appreciated!

Systolic likes this.
  19. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    So a quick update: Ampeg support has hinted that I am playing the amp too loud (8 on the volume) and that the fault circuit is doing its job. Discussion is continuing, as I don’t think an amp should behave like this. Also, the PF350 amps have a reliable reputation. I should get all that in writing.

20. tom grossheider

tom grossheider

Oct 14, 2004
    ILLINOIS
    After a few emails and finally a phone conversation, I can't a straight answer out of Ampeg's "tech support" to tell me if the amp is designed to run at volume=8. They also said that there weren't many problems with the PF350 reported. Are there any owners out there that can replicate this problem? Gain on 12 o'clock, passive J or P bass and volume on 8? Dig it and see if the fault light comes on. I'm not willing to spend the $ to bring it to an amp tech, or pop in a new board just to see if that helps, unless it is really a problem.