1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF350 Limiter Switch Failure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jim Carr, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    The limiter switch on my (former) Ampeg PF350 head has failed. I sold the unit 3 weeks ago to a young bassist in my area.

The warranty is no longer in effect, even though the unit is only 4 months out of the Store (Zoo Music, Dallas). I sold the head with a money back guarantee because of the bad reputation this series has.

The new owner doesn't want his money back, he just wants advice. :cool:

Here is what I know: After practicing for an hour (solo), the head was switched off for 4 hours. Upon returning, the unit produced no output. Lightly depressing and holding the limiter switch causes the amp to work as long as the light pressure is maintained (not pressing the switch in all the way).

Sounds like something has shaken loose? Dirt? defective switch? Ideas?

Help much appreciated... :help:

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Can you "unsell" the amp long enough for you, the original owner, to have it serviced under warranty, then "sold" back to the young bassist?

Just another option if an easy fix doesn't come up...

=wr=

3. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Nope. IMHO, not ethical, honest, or legal. :cool:

I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of part it is?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try cleaning it with contact cleaner. If not, might need a replacement. Shouldn't be a big deal to repair.

5. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Thanks, Jimmy. That was my first recommendation, too. Haven't heard the results. How can I find out what part is needed? I used to build scanning electron microscopes, so installing a control panel switch is not beyond my skills.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Call Ampeg. You should be able to get a replacement easy enough.

7. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Thanks, good idea.

8. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    So, if the bassist uses the money back guarantee that you offered, would it then be ethical, honest, and/or legal for you to use the manufacturer's warranty?

Or is the manufacturer's warranty voided completely?

Just wondering. Hope it is an easy fix.

=wr=

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    One of the first comments by the OP is that the warranty is over.

10. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    If you built equipment, did you ever have to service it?

Go there to look at it and determine the cause. Could be a bad solder joint, loose wire on the switch or bad switch but you can only guess until you see it. Look for damaged screws before doing anything else- if they weren't damaged when it left your hands, he's on his own.

11. It sounds like a mechanically defective switch. Just need to be replaced. The hardest thing will be getting the correct part. It sucks having to wait weeks and weeks for a part from a manufacturer.

12. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I thought the amp had a 3 year warranty to the original owner? Had Mr. Carr kept the amp, wouldn't he have another two years and eight months left? To me, over ≠ no longer in effect.

1958Bassman, perhaps you can correct my miscomprehensions... again?

=wr=

13. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Because I sold the amp, the warranty has ended. I want to help the young man who bought it. He likes the amp and uses it. I don't want to try to scam Ampeg or set a bad example for this young man. In fact, I am uncomfortable trying to go around the terms Ampeg set for the warranty.

14. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    I will try Ampeg tech support for part info. Yes, I am confident I can service the unit if I can get the part.

15. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks for a "kinder" and clear reply. As I said before, good luck with the repair.

=wr=

16. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    The "problem" switch is the one on the right side of the front panel.

ampegpf-350.

17. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Are you sure the switch itself is bad? Maybe it has partially broken loose from the board, and lightly pressing it moves it enough so that it makes contact?

18. For the record I am in no way anti Ampeg. They are a prestigious brand with a long history of stellar products.

That said, I do not like "original owner" warranties - I feel that they are a cop out! If the manufacturer has so little confidence in their product that they will only cover the buyer and not extent their warranty to the next owner even though the unit is not even a year old. They should honour the warranty period, if the current owner has proof of the date of purchase, without question. IMO :)

19. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    Hey Jim, if you can wait until Monday, I'll dig up the part number and description for you, maybe try to find a suitable replacement.

20. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Awesome, thanks!

Been poking around Mouser.com, but can't seem to find one with the right dimensions.