1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg pf350 with pf115 vs gk gk mb115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mingusporter, Jul 23, 2012.

1. So im trying to construct a rig for jam sessions and small gigs. I ve got a deluxe p bass special and have been looking to buy a s.u.b. u bass grab a fishman preamp and do a pseudo baby bass thing into jazz Latin and 60s soul and reggae. That usually spells Ampeg so i was Thinkingthe Pf350 with a 1x15 portaflex cab would bring the goods. But then i saw a gk ultralite combo the mb115 its 200 watts but its less expensive oh and they also make a 500w 2x12 combo in this series for about the same price as a 350 portaflex. I guess what im asking is will this gk stuff deliberate booty that i know an ampeg will? Input appreciated thanks...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Depends on your definition of booty. They don't sound like each other. If you like Ampeg, then the sound of the GK stuff probably won't be your thing, and vice versa. But both of them should work fine for your purposes.

3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure exactly how a pf350 sounds but I own a MB115 and also play though an Ampeg BA115 with my temple band and play through both regularly. Both sound great but I find my mb115 cleaner, crispy and piano like. Definitely better for slap. The Ampeg is slightly more muted and a little more mellow which sounds like what you are going for but it struggles slightly while my GK doesn't. It suits my style more and can do things the Ampeg can't and while for some stuff its tone is better..its personally not enough for me to go Ampeg. When I have the room, I'm going SVT but until then... Both are for sure good choices though but I have no doubt the the MB115 brings the "booty".

4. dbd1963

dbd1963

May 18, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I've had a GK head and have an Ampeg PF-500 sitting on the same pair of speakers. GK creates a kind of low frequency distortion that is hard to describe -- there was a dial on my amp to control it. That was interesting, but hard to notice until you got some volume going (and I read it was more noticeable further from the amp than close up).

Other than that, I didn't find anything about the GK amp that was remarkable. If you wanted loud, it got loud, but I didn't hear any particular character to it.

The Ampeg amp sounds sweeter on the bottom, and if the gain is set correctly, will deliver a mild distortion that is recognizable to me. It also works the mids with more character. There is definitely a particular sound with this amp.

I love it, but if you didn't, or got your sound from pedals or somewhere other than the head, you would likely prefer the GK.

5. Tried a gk ultralite 2x10 combo yesterday and a pf 500 head through an ampeg 15 yesterday with a hofner icon with flats. Actually kinda liked the gk ultralite but Idk that ampeg was sweet. So to be a little more specific im planning on buying a hofner icon defretting it and popping a fishman archtop piezo bridge on it. And a/b boxing it with the original pups. Which do you think would respond better to this kind of setup? I do also use analog delay and a volume pedal.

6. stldon72

stldon72

Jul 22, 2012
    St. Louis
    PF500 sounds really good. It just didnt have the punch I wanted. At lower Volumes I really liked the GK Ultralite 2x10, but when I cranked it up some, it seems to get very tinny and grating on the ears. That was probly a EQ thing though.

7. Yeah i noticed the tin sound too was thinking a preamp or Eq pedal might help. Idk im torn this rig needs to compliment a sort of basackward pseudoupright electric sound. I know what youre saying about that ampeg its got an older sound not screaming for pop and slap like an swr or something. Idk id like something in between i guess not super expensive but reliable well built and loud enough to deal with drummers unmiced. Somethingthat will handle sub bass reggae and wild thumpy Latin and blues jazz Ala Mingus or Chris Wood.

8. I just posted this in another thread. FWIW, I jammed with some people yesterday that I met through Craigslistt and used a Carvin BR15 that they had - good sounding cabinet (w/PF350 amp).

9. Yeah i was thinking the 350 didn't have one at the gc yesterday its got less options than the 500 but for what i do it would probably fit perfect do you have a pf 15 cab just wondering in comparison to that carvin?

10. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    I'm currently running a SABDDI into my MB115. Sounds great in the smaller/medium sized places playing classic country to the 'grand generation.' Now, I've been asked to be part of the house band at a weekly local bar blues jam. Not a real big place. I can't economically justify(to my wife) going to a MB212, just yet, so I'm gonna line-out the GK to my Ampeg BA115AV for an extra 100 watts. (Or, if she thinks the bass needs to be louder I'll just 'have' to upgrade!)