1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ampeg pf500 or fender rumble 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigFingah, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BigFingah

BigFingah

Oct 24, 2018
    I received my entire order, ampeg pf500 with 2 svt210av's. A little skeptical at first but I have to give the rig a thumbs up. I didn't think I would be able to get that much out of such a small rig. Gonna take her out for a blues gig tomorrow. Now my concern is, I play r&b, blues, reggae, gospel, funk... I'm looking for a warmer rounder sound. I went to a rehearsal with a reggae band and they had a fender bassman, that thing sounded great! I recently played out of a GK500 and it sounded awesome but just a little pricey for my needs right now. Question, would the Fender Rumble package give me a sound similar to the GK? If I paired the rumble with the av's would I still get an ampeg sound? Or should I just go fender all the way? I'm more of a 'sound' guy than 'brand' guy. No loyalty to fender, ampeg.. Thanks again!

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    My buddy has the Rumble and he's got thick and meaty sound, yet defined. LOUD too. Can't you get a warm enough sound out of the PF-500? It's always good to have two heads for gigs IMO. The Rumble has some cool features on it. Everybody seems to love it or like it. Just get it, do the compare and take it back if you don't want it. 400 bucks, great price.

BigFingah likes this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Here you can saperate the Ampeg juice and Rumble juice in one blender ~ Tech 21 VT 500 Head.

jeff7bass and BigFingah like this.
  4. BigFingah

BigFingah

Oct 24, 2018
    If my local GC have a rumble I may pick one up for comparison, I can still s3nd either one back at this point. The ampeg is producing good volume but has a vintage sound that doesn't work well with my reggae or rnb. I'm taking it tonight for a blues gig and I think if it handles I may just keep both. Side note though just realized my audio in on the front doesn't work!!! I may have to send my ampeg back anyway!!!!!!

jeff7bass likes this.
  5. BigFingah

BigFingah

Oct 24, 2018
    I've heard very little on the Tech 21. Why? I'm battling tone vs price so I'm willing to look into other name brands.

jeff7bass likes this.
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    All I've heard or read says the Ampeg, Fender and GK all have their own sounds. Fender's being the classic warm vintage sound and GK's being a more modern hi-fi sound. Now, that's a generalization that's probably based on rigs of same brand heads & cabs. Mixing brands between head & cab may, or may not, give you what you want.

I've read of bassists running Rumble heads thru Ampeg cabs to good effect, and vice versa. As long as you're comparing during the return period, get an all Fender rig to compare to your all Ampeg rig, then mix & match to see which has the sound you want.

The Rumble 500 head with a couple Rumble 210 cabs would be a comparable rig to the Ampegs you have. I think it's fair to say the current Rumbles sound more like the current Bassman than other brands.

I'm sure many here at TB would be interested in your results.

BigFingah likes this.
  7. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    The Ampeg 210av cabs are pretty warm, but the Fenders can handle more juice and sound much more open vs the Amepg that has a mid-scooped sound from the sealed cab. I once had two Ampeg 210s and now I own the Fender Stage 800 w/ Rumble 210 extension (small rig). The Fender cabs are much better made and sound better to my ear.

The PF500 is a great head. I know there is some negative info out there about it, but I assure you there is likely a silent majority that are quite please with the price/quality and sound. I think the Fender head will have a different "baked in" sound. If you are looking for an Ampeg sound, you might want to explore the Fender cabs with the PF500. For instance, the 1-2 Fender Rumble 210s would sound great with the Ampeg heads.

BigFingah likes this.
  8. BigFingah

BigFingah

Oct 24, 2018
    Ok guys, I took her out tonight for the first time. Small gig...SHE SOUNDED GREAT!! Full, warm, round sound when I needed it. Handled this gig extremely well! Now being a bit of a pessimist, I dont know of it was the acoustics of the spot or the rig that made the sound so full...lol. This rig gets another shot. Double, no, TRIPLE thumbs up for me for the pf500!

rhopper, Lovep and lowendrv like this.
  9. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
    I run a Tech 21 Qstrip in front of my Ampegs if I want a different tone . Have yet to find a tone I can't get . From super Hi-Fi to vintage . A whirlwind eq or Radial Tonebone work great also . I have all three and have no problem finding a tone to work with any band .

BigFingah likes this.