Ampeg PF500 with 2 PF115CE cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drang22, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    I just purchased the PF500 with one PF210CE and one PF115CE cab. It is my first head/cab setup after using several different smaller combos (TC and GK). I must say that I am loving this rig- it sounds great and is easy to find a good tone. Our sound guy loves it too, fwiw.
    That said, I like the sound of the 115 cab quite a bit better than the 210, and I'm wondering if I should trade the 210 back in to GC for another 115 during their 45 day return period. Is anyone out there in TB land using a PF500 with two 115's? It seems most folks on TB prefer cabinets with 10's- pros- cons- comments?
    Bass Gear.jpg

High Camp and kpc like this.
  2. kpc

kpc

Apr 6, 2011
    If you like it, go ahead.

rodl2005 and Drang22 like this.
  3. Quite a few have said they prefer the 15 over the 210. Two of the 15s seems to be the way to go.

Drang22 likes this.
  4. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have used a PF800 with my PF115HE and PF210HE cabs many many times, and it delivers in spades IMHO.
    You can match the cabs if you want to of course, and that will sound great and if you decide to keep the cabs you have, it's my experience that they sound great too.
    The only difference to me is that the PF210HE is voiced a bit higher than the PF115HE, but they work together just fine.

Anyway, congrats on your beautiful setup!

Drang22 likes this.
  5. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for your thoughts! Just wondering- have you tried any other heads with your cabs, and what are you using now?

6. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have used the V-4B and the PF-50T too and with tubes, the cabs sound awesome to me.
    Currently a PF50T with just the PF115HE is loud enough for me, but I still got the PF210HE in case we've got a really big stage (which occurs a couple of times a year, and then I'll use the V-4B)

Drang22 likes this.
  7. Congrats. Cool rig!
    If you like the 115 more, absolutely go for the 2 of em.

Drang22 likes this.
  8. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Well, I just done ordered me a PF-210HE and a PF-115HE. They sounded great to me in the store and I like the idea of having two different types of speakers to use for different types of gigs, but we'll see how it goes in the real world. The band mix is really the big test...sounds like @High Camp has my dream setup with a V-4B and a PF-50T, very nice!

Drang22 and High Camp like this.
  9. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    A semi-related question. To you guys (and gals) running a 115 and a 210, how do you have it wired up? I know you can use both outputs from the PF head or daisy-chain them. I'm setting up a PF500 head with that two cab config for our rehearsal space. Just curious who is using it which way and if there are any positives or negatives to the dual-connection vs. daisy-chain. Discuss!

10. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Doesn't matter either way. The BEST way is the one that allows you to use Speakon cables for both cabinets, but not sure if that's possible with those cabs.

e.rich likes this.
  11. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I use the same set up except my cabs are both flip tops. Most of my shows are clubs and only use the 1x15 cab.
    For outdoor shows I use both the 2x10 & the 1x15. I like the 1x15 tone better than the 2x10. Just preference and may just be my imagination.
    I cut my teeth on Acoustic amps with 2x15 cabs. I was young and a furniture mover during the day so moving around a small refrigerator size cab back then was a piece of cake.
    Don't quote me on this but the PF500 with one cab puts out about 250-300watts, with 2 cabs you get the full 500watts and can quite literally feel the sound waves hitting you.

12. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    I would recommend using separate cables from the head to each cab. If one cable or output fails, you only lose one cabinet. With a daisy chain you could lose both.

13. e.rich

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    That's a good point, bitter. I think that's my answer. 2x cables. Thanks for the input, guys.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just to add a little perspective, I use 1/4" speaker cables pretty much exclusively, and the number of times I've had a 1/4" plug come unplugged while playing gigs over the last 45 years: 0. That goes for daisy chaining or using both amp speaker outs.

quickfix and e.rich like this.
  15. e.rich

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    Thanks, Jimmy. That helps too.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    By the way, they are HE cabs, not CE. And I agree with the people who think you should get two 115s if you like it better then the 210.

quickfix likes this.
  17. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I daisy chain my PF-115/PF-210 setup: Head - Speakon -> 1/4 - top cab -> 1/4 - bottom cab

Mainly that way because I bought 3' cables when I picked up the rig...

18. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    I have no real preference, maybe a slight preference for using both outputs from the PF head.
    And only because that way the cables won't touch the ground.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2022