1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF800 driving SVT810E cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by niko_koki, Oct 27, 2013.

1. niko_koki

niko_koki

Oct 27, 2013
    hello folks,

anyone tried this setup?

i know it`s kind of odd to pair the two for a gig from weight perspective, ie. 12 lbs head and 165 lbs cabinet.

BUT, i am more interested on the sound/tone this combination could produce.

thanks in advance for any comments.

have fun!

2. It might look like a killer robot together, but then it would be a killer rig :D

rickwebb likes this.
  3. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The Day The Amp Stood Still. Just watch out for the little blue laser beam coming from the head! ;)

rickwebb likes this.
  4. If you like the "ampeg sound" then its a great pairing.

rickwebb likes this.
  5. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Yeah, I can't imagine this sounding anything but awesome. Go for it!

rickwebb likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! The PF800 has a purple light, not blue. Still looks cool but it's nearly as intense.

I've tried a PF800/810e at a store but not on a gig. Sounded great at the store, though, and I have used one of my 810's with a PF350 on a gig and it sounds killer, too.

rickwebb likes this.
  7. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey

Apparently no one warned Jimmy of the dangers of underpowering your cabinet... For shame Jimmy, for shame. :bag:

8. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Death by Purple Light!!!

:eek:

9. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Jimmy is not kidding,a friend of mine just brought one of those PF-350 's over
    for me to check out and I hooked it up to my 810e,and it was killer- punchy and loud.
    So I bet the PF-800 is going to sound great ,in fact I'am going to get one of those PF heads ,I just don't know which
    one,I'am getting to old to haul the STV
    head around,I can deal with the cab better than the dead weight of the head.
    I wish Ampeg would make 800 watt
    version of the PF-350 ,I sure like the
    simple tone controls on the 350..
    I can wish can't I........

rickwebb likes this.
  10. They do mate! Its called the PF-800.

rickwebb likes this.
  11. VeganThump

VeganThump

Jun 29, 2012
    South Jersey

LOLz, I was thinking of saying the same thing but I kept reading that sentence and thinking I must be missing something because the title of the thread has "PF-800" in it.

12. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    No not the same preamp mate....

13. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Enough power thats for sure, looks a little funny because your used to seeing the big SVT heads on those cabs.

14. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Maybe you could modify the 810 cab to have a removable top panel, with latches, so you could store the attached PF-800 amp inside the cab by flipping it over for transport.

You would never even notice the added weight.

rickwebb likes this.
  15. Kind of pointless IMHO. You create more trouble, compromising the structural integrity of the cab.

16. headband

headband Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2013
    Lake Havasu City
    I had a PF-500, and found it worked well with a 410-hlf and my Bergantion AE410 cab. Sold it to a friend that is still using it with a 6x10 ampeg cab, and it sounds great. I really liked the sound, but it ran out of gas with my Greenboy 1212/6. I have since moved to an Epifani ul-902 which mates well with all my cabs.

17. niko_koki

niko_koki

Oct 27, 2013
    i kind of agree with CL400Peavey. the 810E as most of us know is 4 sealed 2x10.
    modifying the top of 810E could potentially alter the top 2x10 section. it could be done i would think but needs some accurate work. also, the top of 810E narrower than the rest of the cab. the handle bar location is slanted and makes the top a smaller area to work on.
    probably carving a small space at the back of 810E and reseal it to fit the PF800 as a storage might be less challenging.

18. +1

I can find the limitations of my PF-500 with my pair of 12/6/1's. I can find the limits with my '66 too, but its a LOT louder.

19. niko_koki

niko_koki

Oct 27, 2013
    eno50

Enough power thats for sure, looks a little funny because your used to seeing the big SVT heads on those cabs.

Agree ... most likely at first look the PF800 head won`t get noticed that it`s on top of the 810E cabinet.

20. It would sound good. Go to the store and try it out. Im sure there are several bass players that already have that set up. Im not a huge fan of that line of heads but would never dispute how plesent they can sound.

rickwebb likes this.