Ampeg PF800 parallel only?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by amishrockstar, Jan 18, 2021.

1. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    I’m new to cab-amp setups. Used large combos for years.

Can someone please clarify: So the PF800 says it’s to be used in “parallel.” That simply means I must have a cable directly from the amp for each of the 115 cabs, correct?

I cannot do “amp—>cab1–>cab2,” right?
    I have to do “amp—>cab1 and amp—>cab2” only?

Thanks!

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You can connect amp—>cab1–>cab2. It is called daisy chaining and perfectly alright to do. It is the same as amp—>cab1 and amp—>cab2.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    Dubious Aa and BasturdBlaster like this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Either connection will work, as the connectors on the amp output and on the cabinets are wired in parallel.
    Keep in mind that speaker loads in parallel lower the overall load. You can use two 8 ohms cabinets with a resulting total load of 4 ohms, which is the minimum for your PF800. Don’t go lower.

spvmhc likes this.
  4. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    Thanks for the responses!

It just sounded like it was parallel “only” from the PF800 instructions.

So parallel will be “louder” than daisy chaining, right?

Parallel will be 4 ohms at 800W (with two cabs), while daisy chaining (ie series) will be 8ohms at 400W, or is that wrong?

Thanks again!!

5. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Daisy chaining is parallel.
    It will be the same as one cable/cab per output connector. Output power will be the same as well. Daisy chain will still be 4 ohms with two 8 ohm cabs.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Oh yeah, since it's still kinda new to you; for the most part there are so VERY FEW factory connections on amps and cabs that AREN'T parallel it is basically a non-issue that a larger company's offerings could be series. Just RTFM or post questions here as they arise.

Back up to your OP, when using parallel connections (basically any factory amp/cab wiring) the impedance ALWAYS drops when adding more. With your amp, 4 ohms is minimum. Were you to connect a 4 ohm cab, no more cabs should be added to the rig.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    There's no difference between using two cables (one to each cabinet) and a cable from the amp to one cabinet and another cable from the first cabinet to the second cabinet.

packhowitzer, Amano and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    Much appreciate the help.
    Thanks a ton!

...Off to the wonderful world of cabs and amps ;-)

BOOG, Dubious Aa and agedhorse like this.
  9. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Since you are new to this, let me add the following that may save you from potential grief and wasting money...

When you shop for SpeakOn cables, be sure that you choose cables that use genuine Neutrik plugs. There are an awful lot of knock-offs and counterfeits, the quality of many are simply terrible. They are responsible for about 50% of all complaints of intermittent or "defective" power amplifiers that we troubleshoot. Yes, it's that big of a problem and is a major time consumer of our product support folks.

If you need help finding products with genuine Neutrik connectors, PM me and I will point you in some known good directions.

BOOG, Dubious Aa, Zoffy and 17 others like this.
  10. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    Ah. Thanks again.
    The cabs came with speaker cables. I assumed the ones Ampeg sent would be fine, no?

11. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    Just noticed there’s a SpeakOn output and a “normal” 1/4” speaker cable output. Is there any reason why you would use the SpeakOn output, rather than the 1/4” speaker output? Does it make a difference?

Thanks!

12. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The SpeakOn connection is superior in every regard.

13. amishrockstar

amishrockstar

Jul 21, 2020
    Thx. Found some sites talking about the differences. Looks like the PF115 cabs only have a 1/4” in. Will have to see if there’s a SpeakOn to 1/4” cable available.

Thanks again!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  14. I am surprised that a 1/4 phone jack is even an option on an 800 watt amp.
    There it is.
    750-PF800BH_detail1.jpg

agedhorse likes this.
  15. Make sure the phone plug is shrink wrapped and not bare metal. There is a shock hazard with unwrapped phone plugs.

Also do not use them adapters. They are ok in a pinch but not daily use.

amishrockstar likes this.
  16. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    Can the non-Neutrik plugs sometimes get permanently stuck in the jacks, or am I just imagining that I've read about that?

Element Zero likes this.
  17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    This is true, I have serviced several amps sent it with the plug permanently stuck. The removal process is difficult and almost always requires the replacement of the mating jack due to catastrophic damage.

lucas303 likes this.
  18. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are. I use one for my...PF800 and PF cabs, of all things.

IMO, all Speak-On connectors should have little push-button LED flashlights built in. Lots of fumbling in the dark every gig to work those damned things.

Bass Jones likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    All amp connections, and cab connections, are wired in parallel. You need special home made cables to run cabs in series.

20. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Yeah, it works fine. You would think that they'd at least do combi Jacks, but ampeg must just not trust them because I haven't even seen those on any of their amps.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021