1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg PF800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by elwaupo, Oct 14, 2013.

1. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    Has anybody had any expieriance with this amp? Thinking about upgrading from my trusted Carvin R600 Redline III which has served me well for years. I've been interested in Genz-Benz and had the opportunity to hear someone play a GBE 750 live with a SWR Goliath 4X10 cabinet and hear an Ampeg SVT with an 8X10 cabinet, the Ampeg sounded much richer. Now I know the Ampeg has twice the speakers in an 8X10 cabinet so it has the advantage. Any opinions?

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I purchased one two weeks ago. The weekend I bought it - I had a gear failure on stage that was most likely bass electronics related, but it got me a little shy of the Ampeg since there seems to be a lot of failure stories with the PF500 (at least early board editions of it). I decided to hold on to it and really try to push it before I decided to take it back, and all this week I've been playing it at home with an Orange 115 cab.

I have to say that it sounds pretty phenomenal, and I haven't gotten it to cut signal. The true test will be a few practices with full band where I'm really pushing it, but for now it's looking fairly promising.

3. I have the PF-500 which is the same front end.

Love the way the amps sounds, and would reccomend the amp on that basis.

Your cab WILL play a big part of your total sound. What cab would you be using?

4. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    I was thinking of buying the whole package with the 2x10 cabinet. I don't to waste my time if it doesn't sound good but I like the price for what you get and love the Ampeg sound.

5. Just keep in mind, that is a LOT more power than a 210 can handle. Just be careful and you wont have a problem, but if you end up needing more volume, you need more cab.

6. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I believe the PF210 is rated at 450W @ 8ohms and the PF800 puts out 400W @ 8Ohms. I think you'd be be okay power-wise, but as mentioned above, you might end up trying to push out more volume than the 210's will give you. Especially if you had a tone of an 810 in your mind (or even the 410 with the Genz).

7. Those thermal ratings amount to two turds in a bucket.

The mechanical power handling limits of a 210 are going to be closer to ~250 watts.

8. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Fair enough.
    I understand a bit of RMS ratings and how they may be suspect, but how do you figure on this one (not being contentious, I would just genuinely like to know for my own future references/purchases)?

Is there a certain percentage that you can figure in when looking at RMS specifications (like if a cab is rated at 400W, then you'd be safe at 75% of that, being closer to 300W then) or something to that nature?

9. A reasonable rule of thumb is half the thermal power will get you into over excursion territory.

10. just as a comment: I use the 2x10 format and I would never even try to play a gig with just one.

11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    This can be true if looking at very low frequencies, but the proper application of an appropriate HPF can really skew this rule of thumb.

12. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    Yes I know about how much power a 2x10 cabinet can take but I have my 4x10, 1x15 and several 2x10 cabinets if I needed that much volume. I just like having the extra power on reserve.

13. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    Right now I like my Carvin 4x10 cabinet the best. I've tried using a 1x15 and 2x10 together but like the sound of the 4x10 better. I sometimes add another 2x10 cabinet for outdoor events.

I know eventually I'll want to get replace the Carvins

14. JOE EDO

JOE EDO Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2007
    Central New York
    PF800 and Berg CN212. Get vintage or modern tones at 46 pounds. Never look back...:bassist:

20131010_203729_zpsa6028533.

15. elwaupo

elwaupo

Jan 16, 2008
    Nice, thanks for the advice