Ampeg Porta Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Oct 1, 2005.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    What does everyone think of this stuff??

i'm most interested in the PB250 head, and like, a 1x12

i've seen alot of it used, some of it, VERY CHEAP.

any suggestions??

i'll only be using it for skool, teaching, woodshedding, etc

i play a 5 string, and 6 string F basses, with activ eq

thanks in advance
  2. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    I have the 1x12 cab. It's great. VERY light (even came with wheels!) I run a SWR 2004 head thru it and it is very loud. (200 watts @4ohm then) Have used it in bar gigs with my sans amp driver and it was plenty loud with sound to spare. :D
  3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    anyone have comments on the amplifier itself??
  4. A friend of mine has the 220 watt 2x10 combo. I have used it several times, inside & out. It is very loud, pretty light for it's capability, & does a decent job w/the B string. I used it at an outdoor gig in Mexico- no PA connection, big band, so I got to crank it. Gain at 1/2- 3/4, master on full: SWEET. It sounds better to me pushed.
  5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i'm kinda stuck between getting the PB250 head..

or ,

upping-the anti and getting a Mark Bass Little Mark 2 ( 450 watts, 6 lbs)

6. The Markbass seems like an amazing unit, but I've never heard one. A point in Ampeg's favor is that it's a proven(for me, at least)performer. Of course some folks jus' don't dig Ampeg's tone. Personally, I'm switching over to an Eden mini-rig:CXC-110 combo+CX-110 extension cab. It makes my DB sound sweet, and works very well w/BG.
  7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    what does "coaxil" mean..
  8. [(Collegiate Edition)Coaxial:having coincident axes.] There's a tweeter inside the 10" driver, at least in the combo. Not sure about the cab.
  9. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I own the older series LittleMark and love it to death. I suggest you pop down to Clubbass in Toronto and check it out. Lighter and much more powerful. Clean with no distinct sound per se.

I recently had a snag with my unit that I'll write about on the forum. The quick summary is that Dave at Clubbass, Peter, the Canadian Distributor, and Dirk at Smile Music in Germany were all over me like a cheap suit trying to help me out.

Back to the unit.....I like having bags of reserve power. My unit puts out 280 at 8ohms and I have never had to push it ever. It is loud and clean. Good EQ flexibility as well. Check it out.
  10. I second the MarkBass head. I just received mine and am loving it. Very loud and great tone. If you can, go try one at Club Bass. You won't be disappointed. I'l be posting a full review once I've had a chance to try it out on more gigs.
  11. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have the PB250 and PB-12, and I love them. It gets quite loud, and sounds real good; tons better than the GK Microbass head it replaced.
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the portabass stuff is fine and dandy, and i'm sure it'd make any player happy. lightweight w/ lots of power. what's not to like?

just be sure you NEVER go near an Epifani Ultralite cab, EA's newer CXL line, etc. :p ;)
  13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

yea i think i am gonna save up and get the little mark..

then i'll try and find a used cab to go with her.. a used tri112 would be sweet. or a bergantino.. anyways

i'm pumped now!! YESS
  14. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I wasn't looking at those cabs/combos when I got my Portabass rig. I wanted to get a light yet loud rig for $400 or less, and this was WAY above anything else I could find in that price range. Of course, it helped that mine was the floor model; I'm sure it would have been a few hundred more if it weren't.
  15. kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I have a Little Mark 2 and 2x Markbass 2x10 cabs. The whole rig is amazing although I generally only use the smaller of the 2x10's (the Traveller) as it is more than enough for stage monitoring.
    I used to have two Eden CXC110 cabs but found they distorted too easily when playing with a drummer and had a very untight bottom end IMO.
    The Traveller 2x10 will not break up even at extreme volume and sounds great with my NS Design electric upright. Also extremely small and light :hyper:
  16. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Just me I guess, but I prerer the conservative black / metallic grey of my SVT 3 Pro, the Halloween Fright-Night orange / black cosmetics of those Markbass amps is SSCAAAAARY STUFFF.

I don't like the black / red of my Peavey Nitrobass either.

Price seems right though.
  17. personally, i didn't like the sterile sound i got from my pb250 head. i do like the pb210 cab a lot though. i now use the pb210 cab with my mesa walkabout and it works very nicely.
  18. I've got the 1x12 Portabass cab, and just picked up an EA iAMP 350 head to go with it, primarily for URB but also for smaller BG gigs. Haven't done a show with them yet, but they sound amazing together at the house.