ampeg portabass 110 for $99 new

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jul 4, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Guitar Center will be having theyre July 5th sale tomorrow and I saw Ampeg Portabass 110's marked down to $99, no tax. I've been thinking of grabbing a small cab for when I move out of my parents house. Anyone think I should for it.

2. The PB110's that are being blown out suffer from the sprung front grill problem. The stamped metal grill was not sufficiently shaped (bent) to conform to the curved front of the amp. It acts as a big spring which eventually pulls some of the grill screws loose. This defect is fixable in about 10 minutes with a little bit of bending and some epoxy on the screws.

Whether or not this little cab is for you depends on if you need a lightweight, not too loud, fairly flat response cab. I've been considering getting an Acme 1x10, so I went out and snapped one of these guys up. Initial impression is that it ain't no Acme, but it is a decent sounding little cab. Here's a pic showing where the grill has loosened on mine.
  3. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I got an Ampeg portabass 1x10 and 2x10 + the portabass head for $350 total. I guess it helps when your drummer is the manager of the Guitar Center. I have to say that this amp is perfect for our acoustic shows and I get great tone from it. Also I have had no problems witht the front grill at all.
  4. Got a chance to wring out the PB110H last night at a rehearsal for my blues band. Drums, 3 horns and a fairly loud guitarist.

I was impressed. This is not like some of the little 30 watt 10" combos, but a serious cab capable of serious volume. With the 220 watts from my SWR Studio amp, the little cab kept up nicely, pumping out good, solid lows. Overall response seems to be flat with no "humps". Mids not as detailed as my Acme (no midrange driver), but they sounded fine (if a bit "dry") as did the highs from the little compression driver (once I turned them down a bit with the built in pad).

Overall, quite a good cab at it's original $250-300 price range, it's a steal now that they are being blown out (some of the online stores should be cutting these soon, or call around to a GC to see if they have any left). If you've got an amp in the 200-300 watt range and the need for a lightweight, small cab, give it a try. It will be replacing a heavy, 100 watt 15" combo in my arsenal and my toting hand is already thanking me.