Ampeg Portabass 1x10 vs EA CXL-110

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, May 12, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi all,

This isn't likely... but I was just wondering if anyone had experience with BOTH of these cabs? How do they compare to one another (voicing and volume-wise)?

I tried out the Ampeg last week and really dug it, but I'm wondering how the EA compares... and I can't try one of those unless I go to Toronto, so I was hoping to get some inside info before I did.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I've played through both, but not side by side. The Ampeg is pretty good but the EA is a much better cab. I've used it with 7 piece bands with no PA support and was amazed at how much presence there was. I've pushed it with a Walter Woods Ultra and I also have an iAmp 350 combo. I particularly love the older heavier CXL over the newer model. Hope this helps.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I thought I responded to this before? another thread? I heard the portabass once with the little head? distorted easily, maybe head, I own EA CXL-110L Love the sound, deep and loud handles 350watts.

from the ampeg website the 110 is only 200w, 20lbs and a sensitivity of 93db? the EA is 350w, 34LBS and a sensitivity of 103db!!! if I got my numbers right you'd need to power the portabass with 400watts to get a similar volume of 100watts into the EA, more efficient per watt than the portabass.

I'm running 350watts into two cxl-110s and I can get it up around 120dBc.

two cabs are always better than one unless you don't want to carry them around.
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I haven't tried the Ampeg, but I vote EA. I have a CXL-110 and a CXL-112, and they are amazing cabs. I think the efficiency is much better than any other little cab you'll see.
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I tried my EAcxl110 next to the Portabass 1x10 after I bought my Portabass 250. I really wanted to like the Ampeg cabs so I could justify buying one (sick, I know :D ), but it just didn't do it for me.

The Ampeg cab is rated at 4 ohms, and the EA at 8ohms, so I expected the Ampeg cab to be a little louder. It turns out the EA was louder, and clearer with half the watts driving it. Sure, the Ampeg was a little lighter, but it's not like the EA is that heavy to begin with.

I don't know if it's because I don't like the voicing that Ampeg chose for the cabs, or if it was something about the neomodiuminuminum ;)driver--I just didn't like the way the cab sounded.

The Ampeg tone had a little more wool on it than the EA, as you would expect, so you might like that in your cab.

As always, YMMV, IMHO, etc, etc...