Ampeg Portabass 212 thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My local shop has a brand new Ampeg PB-212 cab for $525. Just typing that makes it really seem like a lot of money. Anyhow, I can't find but just a couple of reviews on it, and those are pretty poor. Has anyone tried the 2x12 with a GK head? Anyone who owns one, please share your thoughts? It seemed to get plenty loud for me, and the tone was solid. I actually liked the mids and highs better on that than on my GK combo. It's a sealed cab, which makes it a little smaller than most 2x12s, and it only weighs 38 lbs. It seemed to handle the Drop D just fine, which is all that I need. I can carry it in one hand, no problem.
    I know I shouldn't base my decision on what others think, but this cab isn't very popular, and I want to know why.
    Oh, I was not impressed at all with the PB250 head combos. Probably the worst sounding rig I have ever heard. I also listened to a single 10, and it was nice, but couldn't handle any power without getting nasty. The 212 doesn't seem to suffer from the same problems at all. Not sure why.
    Thanks for your time,