Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Portabass 212H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philwill1, Jan 24, 2005.

1. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Anyone using this cab with a different head other than the PB-250.
    I like the lightness of the cab for what I'm using it for but I have not bought a head to go with it yet. And I was wondering if anybody who uses the cab has a different head that they use with it and how does it sound compared to the pb-250.

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I really didn't like the PB heads. I use the PB210 with a GK1001 and it probably has the best tone I have ever heard to date. A lot of that comes from my spector neck though, but it sounds good on my Ibanez too. Try a GK with it.
    Wes

3. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    I am considering the gk 400 and had a thought about the 700 but I was not sure if the cab could take the 700 without cracking speakers. Have you had any problems with the 1000 being to strong for the cab. Or do you have to have more power since the cabs are not very effiencent.

4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Like all amps, you need to know how far is too far. If the speakers are popping, turn it down, or roll off of the boost. My speakers haven't popped though. You shouldn't have to crank an amp wide open evertime you use it. If you do, your amps isn't big enough for your demands.

My 540watt version usually has the master at 3 o'clock, and the woofer at around 12'oclock when I am really getting into it. The sealed cabs really handle the power well. They don't bottom out, and the frequency response doesn't drop off as fast as most ported enclosures either. Its a solid cab, and my favorite. I dont even use my GK1001RB 2x10 anymore.

Wes

5. philwill1

philwill1

May 11, 2002
    Clinton, KY
    Thanks for the help. I think that I'm going to go with the gk rb700 II.
    Whenever I get the money saved up. I'm getting pretty anxious to get an amp. Just looking at this cab every night and not being able to play it like i want. Right now I'm using it as an extension cab from my crate bx-100 but it doesn't really sound too good. i know I need a good powerful amp to really bring it out. :hyper: