Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg portabass: 2x10" +250w head/swr black beauty

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pierkos, Nov 15, 2002.

1. pierkos

pierkos

Nov 13, 2002
    Anyone tried the ampeg portabass? or swr black beauty?
    I'm lookin' for a new amp that sounds well for el.bass and upright bass. Now I play a hartke combo (3500 with 2x10" and sometimes extension cabinet 1x15).I'm lookin' for a better sound. Most of the times I play jazz (fretless jazz bass and upright )and rock things: tom waits,... (fender jazz bas '62).

is ampeg portabass or SWR black beauty a better alternative ?

thanks,
    pieter

2. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    ive played both, and wasnt impressed by either. particularly the 210. what cab are you using now? if youre running a hartke 210, i can pretty much guarantee that you wont be happy with the ampeg. it doesnt handle low end well at all, and it sounds really boxy and confined. the only thing i liked about it was its low weight, and the built in dolly. but the tone deficiencies far outweigh those two positives. also, its price is way too high for what you get. as for the black beauty...to begin with, i dont like swr, and with this, i could never get a good, clean tone from it, and it didnt have enough power at all for me, especially for the money.
    if youre looking for something for doubling....check out the hartke kickback 12 or 15...ive seen a lot of guys using those for upright with good results...though that might be too small for what you do...