Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Portabass 2x12 and 2x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I, like others, am on a quest to find a "perfect" portable rig. I am slowly making my way around the local shops and GC to audition anything that is a viable option. As most of you know, its difficult, and there is usually a tradeoff between cost, weight, and sound/volume. At least that is was I have been reading and finding out for myself.
    I have been interested in the Portabass cabs since they showed up in my magazines. I read all of the posts on here about them, and people don't seem to think much of them. After listening to the 2x10 combo last week, I agree.
    After talking to a fellow member on this forum, and taking his recommendation to try them with a real head and not the 250 head that comes with the combo, I have to admit that they sound very good to me. i mean very good. I know it's hard to tell in a store, but I spend a considerable time playing both the 2x10 and 2x12 enclosures (both through a Ampeg BR5 head and a Brian Moore E4 bass), and I would be very happy with either of them. I just wanted to tell people who haven't had a chance to listen to them on a different head than the 250 because they are a total suprise. Not one of the shops had any of the portabass enclosers set up to be used without the 250, so maybe your stores don't either.
    In hooking up the enclosers myself, I got to pick them up and move them around. This was actually a joy. You can easily grab either cab in one hand, let it hang on your side, and walk with it without discomfort. The 212 is 38 lbs. The 210 is 32 lbs. You can honestly tell the 6 lbs difference, and the 2x10 is less bulky when you care carrying it. I think I like the sound of the 212 better though. slightly better extension, but both handle the drop D, which is as fas as I go. They both have pretty cheap extension pull handles and wheels, but they are removable. It removes with the push of a button.
    I could only imagine having my Spector in the gigbag on my back, my SKB roto-x mini case loaded with my amp in one hand, and one of these combos in the other! Walking down the stairs to reheasal would almost be enjoyable.
    I have been told that bassists should be used to carrying heavy cabs. That's part of the territory. I don't know if that is true anymore. With Neo magnets and light plywood, maybe it is possible to have good sounding cabs that don't weight much. I didn't think it was a compromise in sound, but maybe I have a skewed idea of what sounds good. I don't get to hear the more exotic cabs that many of you play, mainly because no one here carries them. They all carry the same stuff. I currently own a Gk1001 2x10 combo and an extension 15.
    thanks for your time,
    Wes

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you like what you heard, go for it. why bother even asking us then?

sure, the enclosures sound NOTHING like an Epifani ultralite cab, but it still pretty nice, especially for the money. the first generation were a little harsh and the tweeter was very detached sounding, but the recent ones i've tried arent too shabby.

using my Acoustic Image Clarus with various versions of the portabass series, they sounded ok. the 2x10 was a little "shallow", and not too deep sounding, but i could dial in a nice chewy fingerstyle tone. the 2x12 did have a much nicer lower end extension, but a little muddy, yet still nice. the 1x12 was ok, too, but for about the same weight, i'd just go for the 2x12.

i'd go for the 2x12.