Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg portabass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tragicmagic, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I'm thinking about getting the pb212h 2x12 portabass cab to go along with the mesa walkabout.

Has anyone here tried those cabs out yet? what do they sound like? are they a good match for the walkabout?

what other cabs work well with the walkabout?
    portability/weight is a factor, and I prefer the sound of 12" and/or 15" speakers

The band is 3 piece indie rock. I'd like to have a decent clean tone (not too hi-fi, but not muddy), but I also want it to sound especially good when overdriven (i use fulltone bass drive and a custom made fuzz pedal).

2. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I have a pair of the 4 ohm 10" cabs and I run them at 2 ohms with my Carvin R1000 head. I usually use this rig with my top 40 band (Sheryl Crow, U2, Love Shack type tunes) but I used it at practice last night with my hard rock act and it held up quite nicely, even with the drop D stuff. They're tight, punchy, and LIGHT. They both weigh around 16 lbs.

Edit: I know we're talking about two different classes of cab but my eden 2x10XLT is about 65 to 70 lbs and it was a joy to carry both Ampeg cabs to the car without thinking twice about it!

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    different class how

4. bump...

I finally got the mesa walkabout, but no cab yet. Hoping to hear from more users of the portabass 212...

Another thing I was considering was the the compact 15 and 112 from Avatar.

Walkabout users, what cabs are you running yours thru?

5. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
  6. Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply, that link was helpful. Where did you get your portabass 212, and how much did it cost?

7. DBasica

DBasica

Jan 6, 2003
    I got it from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center (www.chucklevins.com). It was $585, and they threw in a 3 ft. Speakon-to-Speakon cable. They were the only company I could find that had it in stock.

I inquired via email and conversed with a sales guy who actually knew what he was talking about. This was my only purchase with them, but it was a smooth transaction.

Dan

8. I've purchased from them as well (not a Portabass) and got similar great (knowledge, friendly and helpful) service.

9. Tragic... I run my WalkAbout through an Aguilar 1x12. I like the tone so much that if I ever get my rear outta debt I gonna buy another!