Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg Portabass Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jun 3, 2003.

1. HardRockZombie

HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    Does any one have either the 2X10 or 12X1 Ampeg Portabass combos? Are they as good as they cost? Hows the durablilty with the ultra light materials? seems like it wouldn't be as strong. How versatile is the sound. Could it be used for all genres or is it pinned to jazz?
    Any info is appreciated thanks

2. I had one. It didn't have much power so i used it as a practice amp. It was awesome though.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the speaker cabs handle enough power ok, and i'm sure a pair could do some damage. but, tonally, a little too midrangey and harsh in the highs, tho.

i'd rather get a pair of Aguilar GS112's.

4. Well who wouldn't, I'd like a pair of Eden 4x10 cabs but the Ampeg will work if that is what you want.

5. I think joker's point was that a pair of 12s is comparable in size to a pair of the Portabass cabs. I'd like a couple of Accugrooves.

6. All i'm saying is that maybe he's looking for that midrange sound and something with a little less power than a Peavy CS800X. Sorry if I offended.

7. I heard a pb250 with a pb2x12 at a gig not too long ago. It kept up very well with a loud kb/guitar/drummer. I wouldn't use it with a 2 1/2 stack Marshals but, at decent volume it was more than adequate.

Tone is subjective and is really a personal thing. As for volume, it has plenty. If I had no amp right now I'd buy the pb250 with the pb2x12 just for its portability.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've been obviously spoiled with the Epi's, so of course my judgement will be clouded. :p

but if anyone did want a lightweight combo for relatively less money, i'd be happy to steer them to the Ampeg's. BUT, if its more the 1x12, then definitely the Aguilar's.

they're MUCH lighter than most, and yet sound surprisingly deep, throaty and full. a real fav.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I was not to impressed with the volume, but at low volume, they were awsome amps.

10. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i was impressed with the portabass. I tried one out (hmmm, maybe thr 1 12, cant remember) a while ago, and wheeled it around the amp room at the local music store. if i hadn't just bought an ampeg B100R, it would have been mine. it's a lot easier to move one of thoes around than a 65lbr :(

11. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I use the 2x12 portabass cab with a B2R/Alembic F-1X and it sounds really good. It really handles the lows on a 5 string, it is loud enough for two guitar players and keyboards, vocal and drums,but I still wish I was pushing a little more power through the cab.

12. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played through the 2x10", and I thought it sounded fabulous! For a portable, lightweight combo, I think it is worth the money. Check them out!