Ampeg Portabass PB-212H..2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BenF, Oct 17, 2002.

1. BenF

Mar 29, 2001
    Boston area
    I hope this isn't old news....check it out:

A 38 pound 2x12 on wheels, how about that. Has anybody seen or played through one?

* Component: 2x12"
    * Voice Coil: 2"
    * Magnet Weight: 4 lbs.
    * Component: compression driver P.E.I. Composite diaphragm
    * Voice Coil: 1"
    * Magnet Weight:4.7oz
    * RMS Power Handling: 400 Watts
    * Program Handling: 600 Watts
    * Frequency Response: 40Hz - 20kHz
    * Nominal Impedance: 4 ohm
    * Crossover Frequency: 3.5kHz
    * SPL: 93dB 1w/1m
    * Xover Protection: High positive current coefficient resistor
    * Weight: 38 pounds

Now, if they'd introduce a 4x10 to the portabass line I'd grab it in a second. It would probably only weigh 50 pounds or so.
  2. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Inquiring 5 stringers would LOVE to know.
  3. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yes, I tried the entire Portabass line when they came out some years ago. They sound very nice to me with a definite Ampeg vibe to them. Unfortunately, they are very inefficient and will not play very loud and also will not take huge amounts of power. I'd consider one only for very low volume gigs, but not where you have to compete with loud guitarists and drummers.

Some have reported problems with the drivers blowing easily and I don't know how easy it would be to get replacements. I don't think they're Eminence made, but some other company best known for hi-fi speakers. Can't remember the name of them.

It's too bad because I liked the sound and weight of these cabinets and also the combos. They just wouldn't cut it for volume.

I don't know if they are still in production. I saw a couple in my local music store last week but it could have been old stock they were trying to unload during the Christmas rush.