Ampeg PortaBass PBC228 Combo Amp ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tony moore, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Has anyone tried one of these?

From the Ampeg site:

The PortaBass Series of products is engineered for the active modern bass player who values portability as well as excellent tone. PortaBass heads feature our patented Micro-Dynamic Technology (MDT) power amp circuitry. This technology eliminates bulky heat sinks and large fans because it is hyper efficient. The new PBC-228 “Carry-On” combo amp delivers 200 watts in a 2 x 8” package, and weights only 35 pounds.

Dimensions: 16x16x10
    Weight: 35 Pounds
    Preamp (Tube or Solid State): SS
    Power Amp (Micro Dynamic Technology): MDT
    RMS Power Output (4 Ohms): 200
    Tone Controls: 3 band, sweepable mid
    Balanced Line Out: Yes
    Effects Loop: Yes
    Component 1: Size: 2 x 8"

Other Features
    Line Out Level Control
    FX Blend Control
    2 Independent Input Channels
    2 Seperate EQ Sections

Seems like the perfect smaller amp for folks who double like me.

Sooooo, anyone actually played one?

2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I tried one out. It sounded perfectly awful. We couldn't get a sound out of it to save our lives. It had no low end whatsoever, and the highs were uglier than Nick Nolte after a bender (love your acting tho, Mr. Nolte). The WM1x10 we had sitting next to it was 1000x better. I can't discourage you enough.
  3. Thanks for the feedback!

Can you tell me a bit more? What did you play through it? Was this in a store?

I'm most attracted to the head with the 2 independent channels. I've heard so much about the EA 208 that the speaker config is intriguing too, but there is none locally to try out...

4. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tony, I can't remember what we were using. Some high end electric bass, I just can't remember what it was. We were just auditioning a few amps in somebody's basement. Also present were a WM1x10 combo and my Acoustic Image/Epifani setup. It just sounded awful. There wasn't anything good about it all. No lows and the highs were ugly, ugly, ugly. The WM1x10 killed it. It wouldn't really be appropriate to compare it to my rig, it's not even in the league below the league below.

Shakespeare in Love is on TV, gotta jet!
  5. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    2x8? What were they thinking.
  6. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Whoa! I just picked one of those up on Wednesday. I've played three gigs on it, one quiet electric gig. An upright gig, and a loud electric gig last nite and I love it. Great low end, punchy, piles of power, gogeous high end, two eq's so I don't have to mess with it when I switch from upright to electric. I like it more than the GK was playing through which costs twice as much.

And it weighs nothing. Thursday's gig was the first time I played an upright gig where I walked in with my bass, amp, stool and all my gear without 2 trips to the car.
  7. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I can't believe anybody could get a decent sound out the one I tried. Maybe it was broken. Really, it was one of those things where "no reasonable mind could disagree".

8. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Weird . . . what axe were you using?
  9. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Now that I think of it, some M-Basses...maybe a Fender...the basses sounded fine (very nice) through the other rigs (see above).
  10. WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Eh, well . . . if you're too cool for my lingo then we're probably not goin' for the same sound anyway . . .
  11. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    1) plug two basses in - each with its own very flexible EQ
    2) VERY portable
    3) Excellent articulate fingerstyle sound. I really liked its tone for this.
    4) surprising volume
    A) No low end at all unless literally cranking the bass EQ all the way. (Moderate bass boost gave a great fingerstyle sound as mentioned above.)
    B) No good slap sound in this amp anywhere. Harsh upper mids and insufficient lows for slap.
    C) Only way to add a second cab is line out to a powered cab. It can't push another on its own.

All this said, I believe it to be a good small amp for doublers or guys with two electrics tired of flipping knobs. But if you want lows, you'll need PA and prolly even bass in the monitors. I am considering one for portability/flexibility with my fretted and fretless.