Ampeg Portabass series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMan257, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Hey... I was wondering opinons on this series...

I was looking into getting a 2-10 cause my Hartke wont fit in my car (not to mention its 100 lbs) dont get me wrong, i actually really like the hartke... its just, a bit much...

can this cab produce a nice jucy low end? i mean, im only going to play four string p bass, so would it be able to handle big lows? and be able to handle some articulate highs?

im just wondering.. everyone else has told me to go with the 2 12s but im not going to have that kind of money for a while..

just wondering what you guys think...
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I recently heard the pb212 with RBI/peavey rack. I don't know if I would call the low end "juicy"

ok, I'm working or very limited experience with the 212 (about 1/2 hour in-store), but it reminded me more of SWR workingman cab's more mid and low-mid sound than low lows sound of an aguilar gs112 or eden cabs or even regular ampeg cabs sounded lower.

I don't know but is that a "Neodymium" speaker characteristic?
  3. agplate

Jan 12, 2005
    New England
    I saw Tony Levin playing through the PB-212 at a show last year and thought this must be good stuff- I was looking for a compact, lightweight rig for myself too. I was pretty convinced that this would be the cab for me so I finally tracked one down about an hour from home and went to try it. I tested it with amps varying from ampeg (not the PB head), Hartke and Peavey, but I have to say that I was pretty disappointed with the tone, drive and thump. I had been using a Peavey TNT 15" combo and thought the PB212 must CERTAINLY be better, but no matter how I adjusted things and eq'd the amps, it just sounded flat and cardboardy. I just recently bought the AVATAR lightweight NEO cabs (210 and 112) and like them very much so far. I hope this helps and you have a better feeling for the cabinet, but I was happy to walk away with my $$ still firmly in my pocket.
  4. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    These cabs are NOT very efficient. That's why they dont sound as good as you would expect. Very portable, but for everything you receive, you must give something up...
    Try the Eden 112... small, lighter, will run circles around the PB cabs!!
  5. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Gee - I think my PB 210 sounds great. To each his own I guess.

You might try Avatar Cabinets. I think they use the newer lighter weight speakers.
  6. jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    can anyone post some clips? thankew.
  7. woah.. i totally left this post out in space... sorry i didnt respond...

Im only playing a four string (and im planning on keeping it that way... no, its not cause i cant play a five, its just plainly because I dont want to... so anyway...), so if you guys were using fives it basically voids it out if you were talking about it not being able to handle your "low end" I'm actually planning on looking at those other cabs mentioned...

ps.. do you think the pbass speakers would sound better in a more ported cab? cause that could be an option... just not a verry reasonable one...

and, sound clips would infact be the shiz
  8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    The PB 250 does not have the balls to push a 210 at rehearsal volume. It's a VERY light hitter.
  9. actually, ive been looking at some reviews of the AVATAR NEO 212... sounds like its pretty solid.. for an amp that is an exelent cab that will handle alot of low end, and do it well, is a feat in its own, let alone a price tag around 300 for it... and it only weighing 65lbs.. I mean, on one reviewer said that he didnt even hear it untill he bought it... but was extremely pleased none the less... plenty of low end for his 5 string...

i mean, i dont trust everyones word.. but does anyone know if the 212 is a really nice amp?

ps. Ive bassically decided that the large bassists around saint louis (not that many, but im talking about jazz gigs and stuff) just use the ampeg pb cabs because there sponcered... or at least a couple i know are...

I really want to find a place where i could try one of these out! (or hear some sound clips... please)
  10. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    From what I've read, Neo's are more middy that the old style magnets. Somebody please tell us if thats always true, but i think a single 15 cab, would give you the best lows, and can still be small. I have found that my 12's cabs, just don't handle the lows as well as my 15 cab does. Good Luck
  11. ok... another twist has been taken.... is this true about the NEOs? I mean, i could get a 15, but, I dont know... the term 212's is just really appealing... lol