1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ampeg portabass series

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PB+J, Sep 13, 2002.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I was in a music store and noticed this the other day. there's a 14 pound, 250 watt head, and three cabinets: a 1x 10, a 1x 12, and a 2x10. The cabs all weigh under 25 pounds, and are very small. They have built in removable luggage cart-thingies on them. I plugged the 1x12 in and I thought it sounded very good---very much an ampeg sound, but portable. A rig like this would be great--the 1x12 for upright gigs, and maybe two 1x12s, or a 12 and a 2x10, to cover louder volume, electric bass stuff

Any thoughts? Anyone else tried these? I didn't have time to give them a serious run-down. They aren't cheap--the head and a cab would cost more than a contra, for example. But personally, i like the way ampeg voices things, and while the swr redhead I now use for upright gigs is fine, I'm not always thrilled about the tone.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played through the Ampeg Portabass setups, but I ultimately went with the Mesa Walkabout. The head weighs 13lbs, and sounds much more natural than the Ampeg(and a lot louder too!). I play it with flat EQ and it sounds great. Very natural, and deep sounding. Though, I really like the Portabass cabs. I like my Euphonic Audio better.:D

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I lean towarf 12" speakers for The Bass. Tens can be a little nasal and fifteens tend to be a little too sloppy.

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've tried them and I plan on getting one (although I've only tried 'em on Slab). Very clean and crisp sound, more hi-fi than your normal Ampeg fare.

The portability on these things is the real kicker though. They are ridiculously light and have built-in wheels and extendable handles anyway. If you're like me and don't have a car, definitely think about these.