ampeg portabass series

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by PB+J, Sep 13, 2002.

1. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    I was in a music store and noticed this the other day. there's a 14 pound, 250 watt head, and three cabinets: a 1x 10, a 1x 12, and a 2x10. The cabs all weigh under 25 pounds, and are very small. They have built in removable luggage cart-thingies on them. I plugged the 1x12 in and I thought it sounded very good---very much an ampeg sound, but portable. A rig like this would be great--the 1x12 for upright gigs, and maybe two 1x12s, or a 12 and a 2x10, to cover louder volume, electric bass stuff

Any thoughts? Anyone else tried these? I didn't have time to give them a serious run-down. They aren't cheap--the head and a cab would cost more than a contra, for example. But personally, i like the way ampeg voices things, and while the swr redhead I now use for upright gigs is fine, I'm not always thrilled about the tone.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played through the Ampeg Portabass setups, but I ultimately went with the Mesa Walkabout. The head weighs 13lbs, and sounds much more natural than the Ampeg(and a lot louder too!). I play it with flat EQ and it sounds great. Very natural, and deep sounding. Though, I really like the Portabass cabs. I like my Euphonic Audio better.:D
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I lean towarf 12" speakers for The Bass. Tens can be a little nasal and fifteens tend to be a little too sloppy.
  4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I've tried them and I plan on getting one (although I've only tried 'em on Slab). Very clean and crisp sound, more hi-fi than your normal Ampeg fare.

The portability on these things is the real kicker though. They are ridiculously light and have built-in wheels and extendable handles anyway. If you're like me and don't have a car, definitely think about these.