Ampeg Portabass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ingemar, May 27, 2003.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Is there anyone who have tested
    Ampeg Portabass 250 and PH 112H cab?
    If so, do you think it can handle a
    Ibanez BTB705OL fivestring bass with enough volume and bottom end for rehersals and small giggs(lined to the PA on bigger events)

What is the most lightweight bestsoundig/bottomheavey bassrig made until today?
    remember that I'm living in Sweden (way up north)
    and here isn't to many brands avaliable
    (I,m sure we will see lots of lightweight/goodsounding equipment in the future)
    Notice that I'm living in Sweden (way up north)
    and here isn't to many brands avaliable
    I know that open low B-string generates about 30Hz and open E 40Hz, but what's the Hz for A-D-G
    strings? Does this means that I have to use a cab wich works dow to 30Hz to give the B-sttring full justise?
    Ingemar "the swede" (not the veg tough)
  2. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    What does the black dot, in the middle of the envelope in front of my "thread" means?
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    It means that you posted in the thread... :)
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its not bad. sounds ok for Low B, but just doesnt have the weighty punchie feel i hear in say an Aguilar GS112.

the best/lightest rig is prolly an Acoustic Image Clarus 1 with a pair of Epifani Ultralite 1x10's. i'm hoping to have this setup by the end of the week.

the Clarus weighs only 6 lbs. (2.75 kg.)., and with the effects loop, i can put my SIB FatDrive to add a more tube like sound. the Epifani Ultralite cabs each weigh only 23 lbs. (10.5 kg.).

another great idea would be to use the Clarus, or an Eden WT400 (7 kg.), or EA iAMP350 (7 kg.), and get two Aguilar GS112's (18 kg.). these two cabs will make this setup is MUCH louder, and will handle your low B very well.

sure, you could wait a year for a Walter Woods head, but why wait, when there's plenty of other great amps out there!
  5. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Thank you for your answer
    I've checked up the products you recomended
    and it looks good.BUT, non of them are avaliable in Sweden, where I live(exept possebly Aguilar)
  6. I've heard the pb250 with the 212 cab and it was very loud with that traditional Ampeg tone.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    dude, the only way to get music gear is not only thru local music stores... theres many places that ship. musicians friend (, sam ash, ( i tink) but im 99% sure they ship to sweden or whatever.

good luck

ps check out the eden/nemesis 2x10p (250 watts, 2x10's light as hell)
  9. Whatever you do, don't import an amp from the US of A. Shipping is expensive, and you'll have to get a power converter that might not interact all that well with your new, shiny, amp.
    But if you're interrested in Acoustic Image or Euphonic Audio equipment - both makers of portable gear - you can always contact Overwater Bass Emporium, in England.
    You could also do yourself the favour of checking out some German sites, like the "mail order company" Thomann where you might find gear that isn't available in Sweden (and don't worry, if you don't read German, there's a Swedish version of the Thomann site). And let's face it: there aren't that many different brands available here, and the stores seldom have a good selection of amps for you to try.
    And, to answer your original question, I haven't tried the Ampeg you're interrested in. I've never even seen it in real life.
  10. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The best alternative for great sounding and lightweight cabs/amps is Hevos.
    Check out their site! And they do ship to Sverige.
    Hevos site
    Even Glockenklang makes great stuff.
    And EBS is not to be forgotten. They will come out with a really lightweight 1x12 cab soon with neodynomspeaker. I´d take any of these over the Ampeg portabass.

Hoppas detta hjälper;)
  11. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hmm regarding the clarus
    it´s a great amp...and bob (all hail bob)
    will surely help you to get one of those to sweden =;O)
    and i drive with the clarus a hevos midget plus cab...and it´s great...
    huge sound ...
    and when i need it a bit fatter i connect my 15" laney cab...and drive on the wave on sound...

gruesze sebastian
  12. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've used my Portabass 250 with an EA CXL110 at practice with a guitar player and drummer playing Jazz with my Curbow 5 string. It handles the low B just fine in the room we practice in.

I prefer the sound of my Mesa Walkabout to it, but I plan to keep the Ampeg as a backup.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually, the Clarus line has a switch that goes from the US 230v to european 160v (i think??), so its all good.
  14. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use the PB250 With a Hartke 2x10 transporter
    & a SWR Workingmans 15. I play 6 string fretted and fretless. It can handle any B-String, There are 4 pre-set EQ curves that make it real easy to dial in your tone.And it all fits in my car.[​IMG]